Applying ThreeBond 1194 Sealer to the Engine Cases?

gregoryp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to put my bottom end back together today and wanted to see if anyone has a preferred method for applying the 1194 sealer? The instructions say to apply as thinly and evenly as possible, using a brush or putty knife. Wait one minute, then mate the two surfaces. I don't want to have any leaks, so wanted to see if anyone has any tips or tricks.
Cheers,
Greg

One important thing is to get the sealing surfaces clean and keep them that way; wipe down with acetone or alcohol. If you try to be too meticulous about painting/spreading a thin, even layer on an item the size of the crankcase, you're likely to find some of the stuff drying by the time you're ready to join the cases; not good. What's worked for me for many years with Three Bond/Yamabond is to run as thin a bead of the stuff as I can manage and let the stuff spread on its own when items are joined. Any excess tends to run down and paint the surface below it, rather than forming clumps that can break loose and travel into oil passages, etc.

I use one of those little metal handled acid flux brushes with the bristles cut down to about 3/8" and tapered to a point. This makes them stiffer. I start like Griz by squeezing a thin bead out then spread it using my "special" brush. I clean the brush up afterward so I can re-use it using lacquer thinner.

Like said above, you just need to be kinda quick.....I have not used it on cases for a bike, but i have used Yamabond and Threebond on quite a number of snowmobile engine cases....just make sure all the mating surfaces are clean...
Tom

I use a glue syringe for spreading the Yamabond . Take the plunger out, and fill the cylinder about 3/4 full. Put the plunger in a little bit, and flip it over till the tip is up, and burp the air out of the cylinder. Then you can control the flow, and neatly lay down a Yamabond bead on the case.

Back