Ardcore hardtail rear motor mount bracket info needed..

650 bobber boy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hay All,

I've just received my hardtails from ardcore and started cutting up the frames yesterday
I've cut as per the distructions and when I sit the tail on it looks fine, straight, true, etc...

I'm just mocking up at moment to make sure all the cuts are right and everything is as it should be But once i try to install the rear motor mount it's like the bracket is to long...

I've attached a few pix for visuals with some measurements etc...

I've tried two of the three tails so far and both have the same issue...

Can anyone out there with a ardtail please let me know if the rear bracket I have is correct ?? Or any help at all with this issue would be great...

Cheers...

null_zpsce44904c.jpg

null_zps68e8d671.jpg

null_zps0a119d73.jpg

null_zps63db807b.jpg

null_zpscf5391a7.jpg

null_zpsf90655aa.jpg

db51c1b5d39cbdb6fc17da3171629e50_zps36eb2aa3.jpg

5d33d35dc4e8521ae8613785a21083c9_zps096b65c2.jpg

a98aa22b4c876b62e47c672d2054bebe_zps5558911e.jpg

If the hole isn't off by more than 1mm or 2, you could just drill the bracket holes out a bit. Or better yet, loosen the strap, install bolt, and then try and equalize the extra gap and check straightness. Then start laying some fat welds on them joints. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It looks like to me that your bottom rails are slid too far in.

When i installed my ardtail everything ligned up perfectly. Is it possible you cut too much from the bottom rails?

If the hole isn't off by more than 1mm or 2, you could just drill the bracket holes out a bit. Or better yet, loosen the strap, install bolt, and then try and equalize the extra gap and check straightness. Then start laying some fat welds on them joints. :thumbsup:

Yeah I've only got the hole showing by about 2mm. One of the pix above shows the amount..

It looks like to me that your bottom rails are slid too far in.

When i installed my ardtail everything ligned up perfectly. Is it possible you cut too much from the bottom rails?

Pretty sure there spot on.. Instructions said to cut the lower rails 1.5" back from the centre of the lower engine bolt (which I've done)... Also if the lower rails were any longer the backbone would be V'd up once I close the gap at the top...

everything is fine for me too....

are the 2 other bolt of the braket are slack? or thighten?

Yeah tried at too... In the pix above the rear bracket its pushed back as far as
it will go..

If I move the tail back far enough to get the bracket on it makes the gap at the top massive and the lower slugs are only in the rails by like 2mm. Which is of cause not safe an my engineer would fail it and the frame would be useless.

Could I get someone to measure there rear backet as per my second last pic above and tell me if my bracket is right or not ?

Thanks heaps for all you help guys.. Much appreciated...

I'm not sure how far the slugs are welded in the tail. Maybe grind the welds and move them slightly? If you have or know a machinist/shop who has a lathe, how about fabbing up some longer slugs?

....Also have you still got some of the original mounts? How do they compare?

I don't think the issue is that the tail needs to move out more as will this create more issues... Because if you move the tail out then the two halfs that make the back bone will been two different plains and won't line up !!

Like i say if I don't use the rear bracket the rest of the frame lines up correctly.

If I could just get someone to measure there rear bracket for me and also maybe from the center of the bottom engine mount bolt to the front (closest to engine side) of the rear axle slots it should point mean the right direction.

Thanks again hay...

The upper and lower slugs are pretty strong. If you are TIG welding you can fill these small gaps no problem. Place the motor in and all the bolts and see how far your gaps are in the backbone. If they aren't that bad just tack with a clean TIG. Once it's tacked I removed the motor and filled and finished everything. Works fine

29 1/4 from the bottom engine bolt to the very front slot for the axle and 1 3/4 from the two rear bracket bolts to the front

Ok just did some more measuring and found some dfferences.

But when you did the measurements, Is the 29 1/4 from the center of the bolt?? As mine is 29 1/4" if I measure from the front of the hump that the bolt go's through. And is 29" if measured from the center of the bolt. !!

Also where did you measure your bracket to and from to get your 1 3/4" measurement ? As I can't get a 1 3/4 measurement anywhere on my bracket.

null_zps51e8c00d.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah tried that with the bracket in but I can't get it to close up an of the gaps anywhere near enough and it puts that much pressure on all of the bolts that you can't move them at all. To get any of the bolts out you'd have to bash them out with a hammer and you'd probably never get them back in...

Like I say it's like the rear brackets are To long because if I don't install the rear brackets the tail section aligns perfectly. And lookin at photos of other guys bikes the backbone seems to have the right distance/gaps between the backbone to the motor case...

I hear what your saying, but should I really have too ??... I brought a kit for n xs650 it should fit my xs650 without having to spend ore money getting bracket made.. I've sent and email to Jon Al's, just waiting on a reply....

Hay ketis, when you get a sec if you could let me know about my reply to you above that would be awesome... Cheers....

Thanks again to all for all your help....

Contact Ardcore. Maybe you got the wrong brackets. They make more frames than just the hard tail. Sometimes parts get put in the wrong bin. I bet you just are a victim of parts miss-placement. Your brackets are definitely longer than the other member's at 1 3/4", while yours is at 2 1/2".

I just checked my bracket and its the same dimensions as yours. I haven't had time to install the hardtail yet, so I can't say if its correct or not. I received my order about 3 weeks ago, same timeframe as you?

My bracket measurement was at an angle that followes the edge of the bracket. All my measurements were center to center

@ sparky,
Yep same time frame !!! as delivery to here was about 2weeks and I got them (ordered 3) early last week..

@ Ben,
Yeah waiting for a reply from Ketis to double check how he measured to get them measurements... I've messaged Jon but no reply as of yet.. I so hope there just the wrong brackets... Was hoping to get them welded on this weekend...

Back