Are all fork tubes the same???

ggg2121

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I accidently bought a xs400 and now I'm in a little bit of a jam. I know the xs400 has 33mm fork tubes unlike the 650's. So the question I have that no one has been able to answer is........If I find another bike with 33mm fork tubes that are longer than mine, can I disassemble those forks, take just the tubes or the tubes and internals and put them onto a xs400. Are all fork tubes themselves built the same?? I pretty much just want to be able to put on longer front fork tubes and stretch the back of the bike to look a little more even without having to swap out to a different fork and then have to worry about everything else fitting etc...

No they are not all the same. Might be the same, but no sure answers are possible to a question like this. Sometimes parts later in the same year are different. Even on late model XS650 35mm forks, some of the parts are different year to year. As an example the first year 35mm 77s use different springs, caps, spacers than the later years. May be other differences too only the parts diagram with numbers knows for sure. Most forks are made by forks makers not say Yamaha but they are constantly changed in many ways year to year model to model and even market to market.

So basically I would be better off trying to fit an entire front end from something else onto the neck of my 400.

Swapping front end parts seldom is "easy" Been there, pulled out hair over, have piles of unused parts from that.:doh:

I know it's not going to be easy. That's why I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. I was hoping that fork tubes were a pretty standard thing, as in any 33mm fork tube can be used in any 33mm forks. If I actually bought a xs650 instead of the xs400 (on accident because I didn't know what I was getting and the guy said it was a 650) then I could just go on MikesXS and buy a set of tubes. Now I figured since the bikes in the garage and I've put some work into it I might as well keep it. I only paid $250 for it anyways but no one really knows much about longer forks for the 400's. Damn

They used to be called Forking by Frank. They are now Frank's Engineering. They make fork tubes to fit your bike as long as you want.

Back