Are XS1 Forks Chromed Steel or Aluminium?

Patches

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Just as the title states. I have a guy that sold me three, yes three XS1 front dum brake wheels. And no, I am not wanting to sell any of them...... Yet:D
Anyway he has a set of XS1 forks and in the pictures the lowers look a little rough. Almost like they are rusting in places. I have a bunch of sets of XS, and TX forks, but I don't know much about the XS1, and I know that they had some different attributes. I'm hoping theynare aluminum and can be repolished, but from the looks of things I'm thinking they are chromed steel. Anyway, thanks in advanced for the help.

Best,

Ryan

Oh Jesus, I spelled aluminum wrong. Just looked at the thread title an noticed it. My bad. My mother would be so disappointed right now.......

The fork tubes are chromed steel while the sliders (lowers) are aluminum. A magnet will tell the story of whats steel or alloy.

Sorry AZ,
The 1970 XS1 and the 1971 XS1B had chromed steel outer tubes. In 1972 Yamaha went to aluminum.

Sorry AZ,
The 1970 XS1 and the 1971 XS1B had chromed steel outer tubes. In 1972 Yamaha went to aluminum.

That's what I was thinking after looking at the pictures. The welds for all of the tabs look to be the kind of welds that would be made by a steel mig welder. The deal is that the XS1 fork lowers have the appropriate tab for the drum brake backing plate, but finding some that are not pitted and rusted is going to be hard. I think my best option may be we weld an aluminum tab on a later model fork lower or find the ever so rare adapter from a SR.

Back