At Wit's End with Carbs

smokinjoefission

XS650 Member
Reaction score
At Wit's End with Carbs [looks more and more like it's electrical now]

Ok, first off, this is a longish post, 'cause I want to make sure I give all the information I can.

I've got a 1981 XS650 Special II bone-stock from California, and I have never been able to get this bike running right (bought in 2008, rode a couple times, stuck in storage until 2 months ago). The ODO says just under 13,000 miles, and the condition of the bike seems to agree. The bike always seemed to start off ok, then would start to backfire, I'd have to keep the throttle cranked so it wouldn't stall and then it would eventually die. That problem turned out to be a dead rotor not charging the battery. Now, for the life of me, I can't get the bike to do much more than an idle. I can coax it up to about 40mph, but if I give it much more than part throttle, it breaks up, starts stuttering (no backfire) and loses power. This is what I've done:

- carbs are BS34s, synced with a manometer
- adjusted the idle set screws from 1 1/2 turn out to 3 turns over various tests
- compression test: left cylinder has 152lbs pressure, right 150lbs
- new battery and cables
- replaced the old tube-style fusebox with blade fuses (the old headlight fuse was too hot to touch when the bike ran)
- adjusted valves to recommended in manual (0.002 IIRC)
- new NGK BPR7ES plugs (was BP7ES but they're no longer available in my area). Oh yeah: I tested for spark, both cylinders by grounding a plug to the engine. Seems to be healthy.
- new rotor and brushes (confirmed old rotor was only ~1ohm and wouldn't push out more than 11.9v, new rotor is ~4ohm, battery gets 13.0+ at 2000rpm and up)
- dismantled the carbs and soaked overnight in real carb cleaner. All seals are in there, and in good condition
- set the float levels on the bench using the clear tube method. Fuel level is within a couple mm of the flanges.
- engine oil change (I know, nothing to do with the carbs, but still)
- tried running with and without filters in the air box (stock filters, no pods). Very little difference.
- the bike runs a little bit better after it warms up a while, but still no power and breaks up if I open the throttle more than a third.
- before I rejetted the carbs, both spark plugs were whitish/grey, indicating a lean condition.
- the carb sliders are in good shape with no rips or tears and drop slowly when I push them up and hold pressure with my thumb over the port.

Right, now that you know a bit of the background, what I've done recently is purchase the dyno jet kit from XS650 direct. I put in the 'Canadian' needles at the recommended #3 position and replaced the main jet from the stock 132.5 to the next one up, 135, replaced the pilot jets. It ran even worse; couldn't even get the bike going much past idle. This seemed to me that too much fuel was getting in through the primary jets, so I moved the needle clip to the next lean position; no difference.

Tonight I went back to the stock needles, left the new 135 main jets in and gave that a try. It was marginally better, but still horrible.

I've gone up, down, inside and out of Dick Russell's and 5twins' carb guide looking for answers. I've read forum after forum but don't get much more than 'Oh, those carbs are lean right from the factory, you should re-jet them'.

So, other than buying a new pair of performance carbs, which I'd rather not do due to budget constraints and wanting to keep the bike stock, can anyone tell me where I can go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That's a damn fine question - I don't know, how would I tell? Although the original BP7ESs that were on the bike aren't resistor plugs, and there seemed to be no difference to the running issues.

I don't know if its your problem but you shouldn't run resistor caps and plugs so you might as well eliminate that problem. I made the mistake of ordering the BPR7ESs. XSLeo recommended the Autolite AP63s for non resistors. They are platinum instead of iridium but I also read that the iridium doesn't extend life so much on these bikes because the way the spark travels on this ignition. If you want to keep the plugs you could also switch to non resistor caps either way is a cheap fix.

edit: never mind about the iridium part that was the BPR7EIX :doh:

Last edited:
Boy, the carbs always seem to get such a bad rap. I'm thinking they're not your problem at all. I think your bad rotor stressed the reg/rec and damaged it. The TCI needs a proper voltage signal from the regulator to function right. Even though you've fixed the charging problem, the regulator may not be giving the TCI the right amount of juice if it's been damaged. You say you're getting 13+ volts now. It should be 14+ volts, so maybe the regulator has been hurt in some way.

In your system the ignition is triggered by a magnet inset in the alternator rotor, and in some rewinds that magnet is weak. There are several threads on fixing this issue, consult the Tech section.

4 ohms is below spec resistance. You need a good multimeter to get a good reading, but if that number is accurate I'd advise you to try to return that rotor and get a new one from www.electrosport.com or a quality rewind from Custom Rewind of Birmingham, Alabama.

Make sure there are no air leaks around the boots of the carbs. Its crazy how much even a very small leak can make when you open the butterfly.

Also what others said... electrics can be testy on the later bikes...

A quick update: I've started troubleshooting the electrics on the bike due to some of the suggestions so far (thanks!). I pulled the new rotor off the bike and it checks out at 5.1 ohms. The magnet, however, is at best 1/2 as strong as the original rotor's magnet (I still have the original rotor, and it checks out at 1.9 ohms). I tested the magnets by holding a 0.002 feeler over them. The original rotor's magnet pulls the feeler in from a distance of 3/4", the new one only starts to draw it in at about 1/2". I milled out the magnet in the new rotor and JB Welded a 1/4" rare earth magnet (same polarity facing out) in place, and left it about 3/32" proud of the rotor's surface. It's sitting on my workbench, curing, and unfortunately I have to be out of town for 3 days so can't work on it again until Sunday night.

Sunday evening I'm going to pull the TCI off the bike, check the diodes (possibly replace them with 1N4005s (if I've got any in my box of electronics) and resolder any questionable looking connections on the circuit board. If I have time, I'll pull the rec/reg and check it out for out-of-bounds connections.

I'll just throw this in.
Rescued an 82; stock BS34s stock headers, straight through sportster style mufflers. Foam covered filters in the stock air boxes. Bumped the stock pilot jet two sizes to 147.5 and the main two sizes to 137.5. Idle to 5K was perfect but it fell flat @ WOT above 5.5K plugs were scary white. Went to 140 mains still cutting out at high rpm went to 142.5 same thing. I knew the rotor was weak at 4.6 ohms, so I put on a new racetec rotor showing 5.6 ohms. The old magnet seemed OK the new magnet was definitely stronger. Boom! stumble gone! I did a WOT plug chop but haven't pulled the plugs to see how they look yet.

With that raised magnet, remove the pick ups and check clearance before running it.

I'll just throw this in.
Rescued an 82; stock BS34s stock headers, straight through sportster style mufflers. Foam covered filters in the stock air boxes. Bumped the stock pilot jet two sizes to 147.5 and the main two sizes to 137.5. Idle to 5K was perfect but it fell flat @ WOT above 5.5K plugs were scary white. Went to 140 mains still cutting out at high rpm went to 142.5 same thing. I knew the rotor was weak at 4.6 ohms, so I put on a new racetec rotor showing 5.6 ohms. The old magnet seemed OK the new magnet was definitely stronger. Boom! stumble gone! I did a WOT plug chop but haven't pulled the plugs to see how they look yet.

With that raised magnet, remove the pick ups and check clearance before running it.
I would also suggest you ohm out the pick ups, they should match, in the neighborhood of 650 ohms.

That magnet was the fix my 81 special needed as well. I didnt drill out the old one though I merely JB welded a 3/16 rare earth magnet over the old one and problem solved. No clearance issues either. Only have about 30 miles on since the fix but so far so good. I was also experiencing the same problems that you are with the bike, so my first thoughts when reading your post was too rich, or that magnet in the rotor, grizld beat me to it lol.

Ok, looking more and more like the problem was electrical, specifically the weak magnet on the new rotor. I put the rotor together, put the stator back on, tightened it all up and started the bike. On full choke the engine responded instantly to throttle! I blipped it a few times, but not over 3,000 rpm and the response was instantaneous. Very encouraging! I can't take it for a test ride yet as I still have the left engine cover off for polishing. Hope to get that finished tomorrow evening and bolted together.

In the end, it's turned out to be that little magnet on the rotor. I guess the one I got was a rewind, and the shop that did it didn't check the strength of the magnet. I took the bike for a spin tonight and it pulls like she's never pulled before, no misfire, no hesitation (this is with the stock needles and 135 primary jets).

However, all is not well in paradise, as after a few mins she sputtered and died. Dead battery. Turns out that the reg/rec is dead. Not just one of the diodes, but all 6 test bad (yes, I was suspicious about that too, so I tried a different VOM, same results). I order a new one from MikesSX tonight.

I'll make a final post when the new reg/rec is in the bike.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Smokinjoe. Since you and gggGary seem to have both new and used/bad rotor trigger magnets, maybe this could be an opportunity to come up with a novel go/no-go test for those magnets. Similar to gggGary's 'slap test'. Maybe dangle a thin feeler gauge, nail on a string, pick up a steel washer from a wood surface, or such. 'Good' would be pull from a measurable gap, 'bad' from a lesser gap???

TwoManyXS1Bs, that's exactly what I did to compare the two rotors: I took a 0.002" feeler gauge (super-thin, super floppy) and held it out parallel to the surface of the rotor over the magnet and moved it closer until it started to get pulled in (about 3/4" for the good magnet, 1/2" for the bad". Maybe make it a bit more 'scientific' where the feeler gauge is lying on top of a 3/4" piece of plywood, they put against the rotor or something.

Back