Auto Advance Retainer Nut - early vs late model cam

Phail

Reaction score
I can't find anything about this. Two times already dealing with an early model bike 70-71 the new Auto Advance Retainer Nut from Mikes (70-84) doesn't screw on easy. It's like it has a different thread size. The last one I just used the old nut. I don't have an old one for my current build and I can't find any info saying it's a different size.

Does anyone know if the early cam shafts (70-71) have a different thread for this nut?

Hey, Phail. The parts manuals show the same part number for the "governer assembly" for all years 70-79. The retainer nut is part of that assembly, so will be the same.

However, my 40 year old memory recalls that the nut was a very snug, almost interference fit, on my other '71. At the time, I thought that was a good idea. Would prevent the nut from easily backing off.

Don't know if later model cams were threaded with a little more relief, or not, to ease threading that nut on...

Thanks. I just used a bigger hammer and made it fit. It won't be coming off easy that's for sure. LOL

I'm so close to finishing I don't want that to stop me now. I should have this bike started by end of the day.

Back