Avon Speedmaster best 21" front???

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been told to look into getting the Avon Speedmaster II for my front tire. Anybody have any recommendations possibly a bit less expensive without having to sacrafice too much quality? Or does anyone know where to get one of these tires for under $100?

I love my Avon's personally, but there are definitely better handling tires out there. I've never lost traction, or felt I needed more tire with my 21" Avon though... I ride hard too...

yeah I hear ya. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with running them but just be aware that you will give up some handling for the Look your going for.

(says the guy with a hardtail and a springer :laugh:)

In the end it's your bike. I have a Metzeler 80/90-21 and it is by no means beefy. and has about the same profile as a 3x21. The only thing lower will be a 2.75x21 speedmaster and those are neither cheap or easy to find.

I have seen them cheaper than $100-120 but you'll likely have to pay for shipping, which will eat up those savings pretty quick.

Yeah, those Speedmasters are definitely not expensive as far as tires go. Don't buy anything cheaper than that. Cheap tires can be a death trap.

FWIW - I've been riding the shit out of a speedmaster (daily) for the past month. I've never even hit a street with longitudinal grooves on it in Chicago. Runs great. Going over the steel bridges though, that feels a bit like this the first time you do it:

OH HOLY FUCK IS MY FRONT WHEEL ABOUT TO FALL OFF?!?!

image19DivBr.gif

But once you do it a few times you realize feels a lot scarier than it should.

its the width as well as height. 3.0-21 means 3" and 3" sidewall on each side. so 3" top 21" wheel 3" bottom overall diameter is 27" 3.5 is 3.5" wide 3.5 sidewall times 2 so 28" diameter

Yeah, those Speedmasters are definitely not expensive as far as tires go. Don't buy anything cheaper than that. Cheap tires can be a death trap.

FWIW - I've been riding the shit out of a speedmaster (daily) for the past month. I've never even hit a street with longitudinal grooves on it in Chicago. Runs great. Going over the steel bridges though, that feels a bit like this the first time you do it:

OH HOLY FUCK IS MY FRONT WHEEL ABOUT TO FALL OFF?!?!

image19DivBr.gif

But once you do it a few times you realize feels a lot scarier than it should.

OMG those Metal Grate are a Unusual Feeling, I know I used to live in Rhode Island and the old Jamestown Bridge is or was (dunno if its still there) a unique ride to say the least. The best thing to do is go with the flow of the bike. alittle unerving the first and second errr third time you experience it.:eek: LOL

Back