Tires! Tires! Tires?

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, the time has come for my 80G to get a new pair of shoes. I really wanted to get raised white letter tires, but it seems that hardly anyone is making them any more:mad:. I have Yokohama's front and back now, sooo that tells you how old my tires are.... Yokohama stopped making motorcycle tires in 98 and sold their molds to Shinko. I'm not 100% sure the tires are not original to the bike. Worst case scenario my tires are 42 years old, best case they're 25 years old. Either way they're hard as rocks:banghead:. Does anyone know of any matching F/R 19/16 tries (sold in the US) with raised white letters that don't look out of place on a old bike. My other thought was Shinko Classic on the back with an Avon Speed master up front.

Ok, the time has come for my 80G to get a new pair of shoes. I really wanted to get raised white letter tires, but it seems that hardly anyone is making them any more:mad:. I have Yokohama's front and back now, sooo that tells you how old my tires are.... Yokohama stopped making motorcycle tires in 98 and sold their molds to Shinko. I'm not 100% sure the tires are not original to the bike. Worst case scenario my tires are 42 years old, best case they're 25 years old. Either way they're hard as rocks:banghead:. Does anyone know of any matching F/R 19/16 tries (sold in the US) with raised white letters that don't look out of place on a old bike. My other thought was Shinko Classic on the back with an Avon Speed master up front.

That’s a nice set up, I found this combo on EBay , all Avon set.
BAC89C2A-C552-4AD5-8C7A-509A57594917.jpeg

Just curious, have you ever ridden a bike with a ribbed front tire? Many Japanese bikes in the 70’s came stock with them and they can be a little evil handling. They especially hate rain grooves on highways.

I used to have classic Michelin ribbed tires on my 76 Honda CB750. Toured all over the Italian / French Alps in the rain without any problems. Mind you with a change to more modern boots on the same bike you noticed the difference in grip and handling.

Just curious, have you ever ridden a bike with a ribbed front tire? Many Japanese bikes in the 70’s came stock with them and they can be a little evil handling. They especially hate rain grooves on highways.
Yes, I've had a ribbed front tire on most of my bikes. The front tire on my G is ribbed now. Have a new ribbed front on the CJ360 as well. Had one on most of my Iron Heads as well as one of my Triumphs. Agreed, they aren't always Ideal but they look soooo good. :cool:

Yeah, not sure how keen I am on putting stickers on my tires. I'll probably just go with BW/BL tires before I do that. Just a Little disappointed that BW/WL tires have largely gone the way of the Dodo. IMO they looked so good.

Bridgestone S11 Spitfire is available with white letters. At least, they were last I looked. I’m running the black wall version on my bike.

Bridgestone S11 Spitfire is available with white letters. At least, they were last I looked. I’m running the black wall version on my bike.
Yeah, I looked at the spitfire's and I like em. But they're not available in 16".

Not compatible with other selections= not available in raised white letter.
C93DC706-A186-4AE3-8616-C242A498D70E.jpeg

Back