Axle torque

EMira

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a dumb question but how are you guys holding the rear axle wheel its time to torque to spec?

Bike on center stand and tighten away. Fortunately my axle doesn’t turn when I tighten the nut. If it did I’d just stick a screwdriver in the hole to hold it in place.

Bike on center stand and tighten away. Fortunately my axle doesn’t turn when I tighten the nut. If it did I’d just stick a screwdriver in the hole to hold it in place.
Thanks. Ya maybe i just need to get the bike off the ground. My definitely spin with it quite easy.

A #2 Phillips screwdriver usually fits through the hole in the axle and is usually what I use .....

BlackJack3.jpg

Tightening to spec is kinda silly with a cotter pin so I just tighten it nice and snug and put the pin in. Never had an issue.

Tightening to spec is kinda silly with a cotter pin so I just tighten it nice and snug and put the pin in. Never had an issue.

Same. Basicly all i have ever used are factory tools to tighten the Nut then backed it off it it was between 2 split pin holes.

More useful when setting bearing preload, but like old man once showed me stroke castle nut face on flat stone easy bit - and check . You fellas most all know that anyway. I think I might have had an axle slip long time ago on a CL77 - probably I was drunk and forgot to tighten it. Smooshed the 6mm adjuster bolty thingie. These days Mr Torque Wrench is calibrated and used, with loctite and stroke on stone as needed. No heal so fast now!

??
If rear wheel removal was required on the side of the road, is it even possible to loosen the castle nut with tools supplied in the tool kit? Let’s assume 108 ft lbs was applied upon installation.

??
If rear wheel removal was required on the side of the road, is it even possible to loosen the castle nut with tools supplied in the tool kit? Let’s assume 108 ft lbs was applied upon installation.
Most of the tool kits I've had there was a axle wrench, the sliding handle extends that wrench and the whole thing can be moved quite easily with your foot.

Grease that axle, front or back. I just tried to remove the rear axle of a new to me '81 CB750C. The axle had been cleaned and not greased. Two spacers had rust welded to the axle, and this is not a rusty bike. Now I know WHY I grease axles.

??
I don't use a torque wrench. I get it good a tight with the same tools I carry on the bike. That way I know I could loosen it on the side of the road if needed.

Back