Bad Stator?

Jerm

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
1. Battery Charged to 12.7
2. Strong Magnetism @ Inspection Plate
3. Grounded Green wire on reg/rec and got no change in battery voltage when running.
4. Checked battery voltage @ positive brush and it was 12.6
5. Tested rotor with 2 multimeters.
1. Measured .3 with leads touching. 5.5-5.6 between brass rings.
2. Measured .5 with leads touching. 5.7-5.9 between brass rings.
Both meters read infinity between brass ring and engine.
6. I got a reading of 5.5 -6.9 between the three white wires coming out of the stator before they go into the regulator rectifier with meter set on 20 VAC.

7. I got a reading of 1.1 on all white to white wires with meter set on 200 in the ohms section. I got a reading of .7 - .9 between white wires and ground.

You measured 5.5. to 6.9 volts AC coming out of 3 white wires. That is much to low..............should be 12.5 to 13 volts AC.

You measured 0.7 to 0.9 ohms from white to ground.................should be infinity.

There's a possibility you are getting a ground from the Safety Relay. Try disconnecting the yellow wire at its connector or unplug the Safety Relay. Recheck the white to ground resistance.

Sorry I forgot to mention that it is an 82 and has a "simplified" wiring setup using this diagram. Yellow is capped off. I rechecked white to ground with the connector unhooked and got the same readings. Am I doing this wrong? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• xs650allyears.jpg
    xs650allyears.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 114
Just to be sure I understand. When you measure resistance from white wires to ground, you are doing this at the 6 pin connector, with the connector unpluged from the harness.

Correct. I am unplugging the the connector and measuring from each of the three whites to several different grounds just to make sure the reading is consistent.

Yes, the stator windings are grounded somewhere in the windings. You could look around carefully at the stator windings to see if there is any obvious place where the windings have rubbed against the casing etc. Otherwise, the stator is toast and needs replacing.

"Its also appreciated that you reply back to the site with the solution" RG
Here, here!

Back