Bafflingand emgomshortys?

Docwits

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you not following my thread (which is most of you, can't blame you, pretty boring thus far), I am in the process of building a brat using a lot of parts from a discarded xs400 café project.

Here is my question. Eventual plans are Gordon Scott high pipes and performance carbs, pods. It will be some time before I can save enough funds for that so in the mean time:
1. Cut off stock mufflers
2. Adapter to accommodate inner tube of stock headers, thanks Pampcopete
3. 1.5" aluminized pipes

I am going back and forth on going with straight bars and 4" baffles or cut pipes down and use emgo shorties I already have. I will then cover the ugly adapter section and headers with pipe wrap.

Will it have any effect (enough to be concerned about) with running the stock carbs, jets and airbox? I figured the inner smaller diameter pipe in the stock headers would create significant backpressure. If not I even thought of running the baffles and mufflers together to remove any performance gain the mufflers might offer.

Am I over thinking this? It will probably be six months to a year until I can do the Gordon pipes and performance carbs and obviously would like to ride it. Really don't want to rejet, it runs perfect right now!

Thanks in advance for all of your help/advise.

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 153
Your over thinking. The muffler will work better than straight pipe no muffler. Cut the pipe mount the muffler and wrap the pipe. Backpressure is a myth.

Back