basic wiring question? tci

jolo9534

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys so i have a 79 xs650. i gutted everything and put a pma from tc bros. i started a fresh wiring harness. i think i have everything hooked up correctly. going to check for spark tomorrow, but what im wondering is what is going to tell my coils when to fire. i was working on a buddies bike earlier and we were doing something with his cdi, then i thought about my build and now am wondering if the bike will fire? this is my first harness that im making from scratch, i have points. thanks guys

Your points tell the coil when to fire.
That's what your ignition is, points.
In 1980 they went to a TCI ignition (XSs never had a CDI)
You may want to grab a manual and read up on your ignition. You have to set the timing and contact breaker gap.
You must, in this order, adjust cam chain tensioner, valve lash, timing, then carbs.

Here is a link on the points timing

http://www.xs650.com/threads/timing-basics.1984/

Your confusing your self................

.A PMA will not work with a TCI, (80-84 XS650 Factory Transistor Controlled Ignition),

XS650's never came out with a CDI................Some new PMA's have a CDI ignition built into them...............

If you have points ignition, a PMA will work with them, (many Yamaha's and other manufacturers bikes have been built with this system from the factory)..............Wiring as per normal for the points ignition, need to adjust the wiring at the PMA instead of the factory system.........

If your PMA has a CDI ignition incorporated this will make the Points ignition system obsolete and the wiring will need to reflect that................

alright so the points tell it when to fire, i just mentioned the CDI cause my buddies bike is a honda.my bike ran a few months ago before i took it apart, since i installed a pma do i have to adjust cam chain tensioner, valve lash, timing. i figure i have to adjust the carbs since they're new.

I gave that information so you could get things cleared up in your mind, i also covered all the bases due to the different ignitions and charging systems you talked about

Yes a manual has all of that information.

Set the...........

1, cam chain.

2 tappets

3 points

4 Timing

May need to adjust the points as an ongoing to get the timing spot on.......

5 Carbs last

Back