Battery Advice for Someone Who Knows Dick-All About Batteries

Uhlaf

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright,

As some of you would know I've been having on and off luck with my 81 Speciall II; Saturday I put in a new AGM Battery and my bike kicked right over by basically asking her nicely. Went for a nice putt around town, grabbed some dinner and went home. Later that night I went out again and had the bike flat out die on me again, I pushed it over to a parking lot and found the neutral light dim as where the brake lights. Had to push the bike back home, took 2 hours, most of up hill (no snow though)

Long story short I bought a battery charger and hooked it up, 2 amp charge, battery was at 100%, put the charger in my backpack and raced to work on the bike fully charges batter. Just now I pulled the battery to check the voltage with my meter and possibly charge it. Battery reads 12.5V ignition off. This is after a lively half hour commute.

I'm confused, was it possible that Crappy (Canadian) Tire did a shit job when charging my battery? Do I risk it? Since I'm at work I don't have time to slap test/check charging voltages but it looks alright, right?

I just don't want to have to push my bike anymore.

Yes, perform the simple charging test, the one that's been outlined like 10 million times around here. In fact, it was just explained several times in a couple threads TODAY ..... or get used to pushing, lol.

2 amps is a lot to charge at, unless AGM's require a very high charge rate. That I don't know.

I've got 2A, 8A and 12A.

I figured 2 was the safest bet. Anyways, I'm leaning heavily to just going PMA and losing the battery, I run kickstart only anyways. Maybe this is the kick in the pants I need to get the cafe going.

5twins comments are right on the money!

You can't drive a 30+ year old bike, and have no knowledge of the bike's electrical/charging system. Its fundamental to the bike's operation.

These almost identical threads keep constantly popping up, like weeds in your yard (garden for my UK friends). Their first response to the problem, is usually spending hundreds of dollars to buy a new PMA, when they may only need new brushes or a new rotor.

Edit: 2 amps is fine if you have a 14 amp/hr size battery.

yeah I would definitely go with a PMA. Hugh's hand built is the way to go and you won't have to worry about it again:thumbsup:

5twins comments are right on the money!

You can't drive a 30+ year old bike, and have no knowledge of the bike's electrical/charging system. Its fundamental to the bike's operation.

These almost identical threads keep constantly popping up, like weeds in your yard (garden for my UK friends). Their first response to the problem, is usually spending hundreds of dollars to buy a new PMA, when they may only need new brushes or a new rotor.

Edit: 2 amps is fine if you have a 14 amp/hr size battery.

I've always gone with the .10 x the amp hour rating for charging

Back