Battery and Rec Qs

Tia813

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all. I want to first thank this site and all the folks that contribute info. I've gained so much knowledge and ideas on where my first build's going to go.

I have an '81 thats going to be kick start only have just head light, tail light and rear turn signals. Finally my small battery came in. The battery I bought is rated at 12V0.8AH/20HR. Same rating as the one Punkskalar mentioned on his PM thread. My issue is the red wire coming from the Rec is considerably bigger than the one on the battery. Will this small wire handle the amps coming from the Rec? I will have a 20a fuse before the IG switch and battery. How many amps is coming out of the Rec? Thanks

If I'm correct it should be around 14.5 amps from the reg/rec to the battery. I would put the fuse right out of the battery. So, the red comes from the battery to a fuse than to the ignition / reg/rec.
My red wire is a 10 or 12 guage.
Please don't use my advice as a solid answer. Just telling what I have.

If I'm correct it should be around 14.5 amps from the reg/rec to the battery. I would put the fuse right out of the battery. So, the red comes from the battery to a fuse than to the ignition / reg/rec.
My red wire is a 10 or 12 guage.
Please don't use my advice as a solid answer. Just telling what I have.

14.5 volts ... the amperage is going to be much higher depending on which stator is being used (number of windings etc.) I read somewhere the banshee setup is on the upper side of 170 amps?

Per stock specs a '81 charging output from alternator is 14 volts, 16 amps at 5000 rpms. The stock battery is 12v, 14ah capacity and charging rate is 1.4 amps/10 hours.
Reg/rec regulated voltage is 14.5 volts.

A starter switch is 100 amps.

Thanks guys. I will be using a vf500 stator.
There will be a 20a fuse connected at the battery. My main concern was will I fry the 16 gauge wire coming out of my small battery

I googled it and it said a 12 inch piece of 16 gauge can only hold about 10-12 amps. 24 inches about 8 amps.
You've got a good question that people probably don't think about.

Great sites, thanks.
I'm running all 12 that I purposely put in, but my red from battery to fuse box is stock. I have no starter so it's just the stock gauge, but I think it is 10.

16 gauge is fine for lights horn etc. I assume from reading this you have done or are doing the banshee alternator? There is someone else on here that used a small battery just to run the lights and ign while kick starting. If you were to be drawing amperage out of the battery such as for use with the electric starter, you would fry that 16 gauge wire. but for maintaining a charge on the battery through the reg/rec you should be fine.

Yep. The starter gauge is a 4?, so don't use a 16. I run 12 to all my lights, signals, horn ect. I measured last night and the red from battery to fuse to reg/rec and ignition is also a 12. I thought it was a 10, but it's just a thicker covering. 16 on the battery will surely fry.

Kick only it will be fine, I've been running that .8ah battery for well over a year now, and the wire never even gets warm.

A 16 from battery to the stater relay I meant will fry. Not enough coffee in me yet. I run starterless and my red from rec/reg to battery stays cool.

Gmiller, in your first post you said "Banshee setup is on the upper side of 170 amps" I think you have a zero in there you don't need. upper side of 17 amps sounds better. I don't think any bike or most cars use a 170 amp + alternator. I think the big touring bikes, like what Honda, BMW and Harley sell use a 45 amp alternator.
As far as wire size I used 16 ga for most of the wiring after the fuse box. The wires from the battery to the main fuse, switch, fuse box, and the rectifier wires are 14 ga.
Using to heavy a wire can be to stiff and can't flex under stress as well as the lighter ga wires. This can lead to broken joints where wires join and at connectors. Often around the forks where they get the most flexing as you turn the forks. Excessive rubbing against the frame.
Trying to use solid house type wire is a big no-no. Way to stiff.

Leo, so a 14 is ok to use after the fuse, right. If I am running no starter and my red wire comes straight off battery to fuse to rest of the system a 14 should be fine?
Thanks

Leo, yeah what I was reading at the time and what I wrote are two different things ... Thanks for pointing that out. ... but most cars are 95 amp alternators or better (I have a 140a on my Jeep) ... I was looking at battery specs not alternator specs LOL

Yes. 14 ga should be fine. My key switch I bought had 14 gauge wires on it and it was for an older Ford Tractor. If it can handle the electrical load for a tractor it should handle the load of a 650.

IM in desperate need of help. I have a 71 and would like to get rid of the seperate rec. and reg and put in a single unit is this possible?

Back