Battery options??

Nickyd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey so my battery is at its end of its life, so i need to get a new one. My question is, im trying to cut down on weight and size, are there smaller battery options that will give me the same amount of electrical power? and is there any quick and easy spots on the bike i can mount the battery? i have an 81XS650 SII going for a cafe look.
Thank you

Shorai is the smallest and lightest battery out there but will still power the electric starter. Comes with foam so you can fill the huge space in stock battery compartment that your old battery once filled. Can be mounted any way. On the downside, they are expensive. Got mine from bikebandit

Ok that sounds good. i heard something about "Over-voltage or over-current charging" and draw in excess of 2/3 CCA specification". i have a stock 81 XS and not any good at electrics lol. will my bike do that or will it not be a problem

I've looked into Ballistic, this is what worries me. An xs650 charging system can sometimes go over the 14.4V maximum.

>>>
Maximum Charge Rate for Standard Automotive or Motorcycle based Charger:
EVO2 50 (100-009) – 5A @ 13.2-14.4V until the battery registers 14.4V.
4 Cell EVO 2 (100-010) – 10A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.
8 Cell EVO 2 (100-011) – 20A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.
12 Cell EVO 2 (100-012) – 20A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.
16 Cell EVO 2 (100-013) – 20A @ 13.2-14.4V for until the battery registers 14.4V.

Ok see that's my concern. Anyone have any expureence with this issue? I would like to use that small Shorai battery, but not if the XS will ruin it.

The older bikes that use the separate mechanical regulator can over charge but the later bikes that had the combo reg/rec are much better at charging.
I have the Ballistic 8 cell in my 75 with the 750 kitted engine It has been working great for about a year. I have the Chrysler regulator with the Radio Shack rectifier mods so it charges very well with no over charging.
On those charge rates, that's for chargers not so much the bike. Our 650's have from around 2 to maybe 5 amps of extra charging depending on your lighting. All stock uses much of the extra power, converting to LED lighting saves a bunch of what the lighting uses for charging the battery.
Leo

ok great! so XSleo do you think my stock electronics 81XS650 SII would be ok to just strap a Shorai battery into it? i just don't wanna spend the money to mess someting up. and if so i want a small one. is there a certain model i need that would need specific for the XS?

i have another question come to think of it. i think my battery is dead because i cant start my bike without charging it before hand. but i got the bike on and took it for a short ridr up the street and back, then let the bike idle for a bit.. and then it shut off out of no where. then it wouldn't start again(kick or elec) nor would the horn sound or headlight light up. that is the battery right? or could it be a charging system? because i didn't think the bike would just shut off??
Thank you! sorry for all the questions

To check if it's charging, with it idling hook up a volt meter. You can get one from Harbor Freight for $5. Rev it up to 3000 rpms and if the volts jump to 14 then you are charging.
Read the chrging system guide in the

It does sound like your charging system isn't. Read the charging system guide.
One thing is you need a good fully charged battery to do the testing.
I might suggest taking your battery out of the bike and charging it up with the proper charger, one designed to be used on small batteries. A car charger has too high a charge rate.
Once charged take it to a place that sells batteries and get it load tested. If it passes the load test it will work fine for testing the charging system.
Once you get the charging system working right then get the smaller battery.
On the Shorai site they recommend the LFX14L5-BS12, 2.31 lbs, 210 cca's $159.95 can be found cheaper at other sellers.
I use the Ballistic 8 cell. It weighs 1.7 lbs, 275 cca's and $169.95. It can be found cheaper at other sellers. I got mine off Ebay, $135.
Leo

Back