bbbbBut it's a Honda!

ADV bikes are great. Love the riding position, and having suspension that doesn't throw you over bumps. They'll last if you do the maintenance too, at 100k miles I had to shim 4/6 exhaust valves and replace the cam chain.
20201007_082835.jpg

Don't sell the RD250 short. RD250s are much thicker on the ground than RD350s. I bought my RD350 about 10 years back from NJ (I am in Houston). As I recall I paid about $1800 for a running, complete machine. I refreshed the bike and rebuilt the engine. It's lightweight, quick, and handles very well.

Since then I have bought three RD250s locally. One was a basket case that was missing many parts. I turned it into a cafe racer. The one I am currently restoring cost me $1300 last spring and was in pieces. They are virtually identical to the RD350 (the front brake is a drum) so all the cycle parts interchange. The cases are virtually identical and the carbs are the same and the crank is the same, so you can fit RD350 slugs and jugs, rejet and have a screamer.

In fact, since the primary gearing is a bit shorter on a RD250 than on an RD350, it will be quicker than an RD350.

Back in the day, they said you could tell that an RD350 was tuned right if it would lift the front wheel in the first two gears. I have personally verified that. A stock RD250 is not as wheelie prone, but it is still quick.
DSCF2609.JPG
Capture.JPG
20200202_145848.jpg
20190109_161250.jpg

Dealer got an 1100 in stock so went and looked.
Think a perfect bike for someone about 5'7"
no way or chance of adapting it to fit me.
It was a black one and like an 82 Heritage special they went a bit overboard.
Guess I'll be tweaking the 1100 shadow a bit for touring this year.
20201103_104618.jpg

Less Ywain falls together.
fit.jpg

Last edited:
Dealer got an 1100 in stock so went and looked.
Think a perfect bike for someone about 5'7"
no way or chance of adapting it to fit me.
It was a black one and like an 82 Heritage special they went a bit overboard.
Guess I'll be tweaking the 1100 shadow a bit for touring this year.
View attachment 186765
Less Ywain falls together.
View attachment 186764
I've bee trying to find a 1100 shadow but all that seems to be out there are 750's
I've got to replace my clunky Triumph
The search is on

I've bee trying to find a 1100 shadow but all that seems to be out there are 750's
I've got to replace my clunky Triumph
The search is on

There's several around me I think the sabres are a good fit for touring.
Man I didn't want that Sabre but it had ALL the right goodies including saddle bags threw a low ball his way and it was in the van the next morning. Changed two connectors that were plugged in wrong and bingo bango. ( I ended up smoking the voltage regulator figuring out the problem so had spend $50 for a new one) :wink2: All in wasn't as much as dealer fees and sales tax on a new bike.
A late Aero is good too, the last year 2001 aeros had 10 more hp than the 2000 down aeros. and needed it. LOL
These are a bit pricy but been for a sale for a while, yah never know
https://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/d/montello-99-honda-shadow-aero-1100/7283787289.html
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/milwaukee-2004-honda-shadow/7285481916.html
The 750 shadows are pretty darned good bikes would suit for touring, I put a few miles on Allison's

There's several around me I think the sabres are a good fit for touring.
Man I didn't want that Sabre but it had ALL the right goodies including saddle bags threw a low ball his way and it was in the van the next morning. Changed two connectors that were plugged in wrong and bingo bango. ( I ended up smoking the voltage regulator figuring out the problem so had spend $50 for a new one) :wink2: All in wasn't as much as dealer fees and sales tax on a new bike.
A late Aero is good too, the last year 2001 aeros had 10 more hp than the 2000 down aeros. and needed it. LOL
These are a bit pricy but been for a sale for a while, yah never know
https://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/d/montello-99-honda-shadow-aero-1100/7283787289.html
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/d/milwaukee-2004-honda-shadow/7285481916.html
The 750 shadows are pretty darned good bikes would suit for touring, I put a few miles on Allison's
You would think the 750's would be a little small on week long or more trips?
I did the 650 for a few summers but we did mostly 2 lanes When we would be on the interstate for hours the 650 was just running to hard for my comfort
While the 900 Triumph was happy no matter where we were driving but it's such a clumsy bear at slow speeds like trying to turn around on a 2 lane road

Sounds like we think similar, the big tourers are just too big for campgrounds parking lots etc.
Thinking of stripping doo-dads off the shadow for weight reduction. and more of a ratbike ethos.
I think a 750 shadow is quite a bit more relaxed than an XS650 the forward pegs sit comfortable, one with floorboards even better, but not sure about 80MPH western freeways.........

I haven't owned a V-star 1100 but it's right in the neighborhood of the 1100 shadows and they're around for sale..
600lbs wet.
I'm going to keep my mind open as to which one I get
I had a chance a few days ago, a local dealer had one for sale and I went to look at but it had been sold days before I got there
I asked him if they could take it off the website (it's still up )
I guess I'll call first

Attachments

• Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit.jpg
    Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 117
Sounds like we think similar, the big tourers are just too big for campgrounds parking lots etc.
Thinking of stripping doo-dads off the shadow for weight reduction. and more of a ratbike ethos.
I think a 750 shadow is quite a bit more relaxed than an XS650 the forward pegs sit comfortable, one with floorboards even better, but not sure about 80MPH western freeways.........
It might be a little hard on the 750, on the 80mph western freeways the 650 just stayed at 70 and everybody just passed us politely

You would think the 750's would be a little small on week long or more trips?
I did the 650 for a few summers but we did mostly 2 lanes When we would be on the interstate for hours the 650 was just running to hard for my comfort
While the 900 Triumph was happy no matter where we were driving but it's such a clumsy bear at slow speeds like trying to turn around on a 2 lane road

What Triumph did / do you have? I had a Bonneville America that I really loved. It wasn’t a bullet by any means but it was super comfortable, torquey, handled great and had a lovely exhaust note.
0AAA7A0F-DB2B-4E03-923C-A0A576046E17.jpeg

It might be a little hard on the 750, on the 80mph western freeways the 650 just stayed at 70 and everybody just passed us politely

I have been thinking more and more about looking for another old bike with longer legs. Any more that two hours on my XS and I just feel beat up, it really limits me on how far I’m willing to ride it. Sure it’ll do 65mph for hours on end, and you could probably do 600 mile days on them, but I don’t want to. I have been thinking a lot lately about what would be the best, most affordable $$$, most reliable, easy to maintain, comfortable, used bike out there. Here’s what I’m thinking.
Gotta be a Japanese, mass produced, long production run with a proven track record, preferably shaft drive or belt drive. Did I mention low cost and low maintenance? :laugh2: Some of the candidates,

More sporting,
Kawasaki Concours 1000, first generation, cheap as chips, made a million of them, legendary reliability. Low mileage , clean examples can still be found for little money.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/d/peoria-kawasaki-concours/7283195946.html
DEACFDF6-42D2-4784-9D9B-EDBC1C2D9E3C.jpeg

Honda ST1100, first generation, same pluses as the Kawasaki. A little more expensive but bulletproof.
Suzuki Bandit 1000, good bike, but not a shaftie.

More cruiserish,
Honda 1100 Shadow
Honda VTX 1300
Yamaha Star 1300
Yamaha Star 950 Touring model
Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Touring

I don’t have any interest in a real land barge, such as an old Goldwing or a Yamaha Venture.

Look at the adventure bikes. Comfortable, plenty of power, lots of used ones have the luggage already added, and reliable. I have a triumph tiger 800xc, came with lots of upgrades, only had to pay $4k, and it's now up to 104k miles.

I have been thinking more and more about looking for another old bike with longer legs. Any more that two hours on my XS and I just feel beat up, it really limits me on how far I’m willing to ride it. Sure it’ll do 65mph for hours on end, and you could probably do 600 mile days on them, but I don’t want to. I have been thinking a lot lately about what would be the best, most affordable $$$, most reliable, easy to maintain, comfortable, used bike out there. Here’s what I’m thinking.
Gotta be a Japanese, mass produced, long production run with a proven track record, preferably shaft drive or belt drive. Did I mention low cost and low maintenance? :laugh2: Some of the candidates,

More sporting,
Kawasaki Concours 1000, first generation, cheap as chips, made a million of them, legendary reliability. Low mileage , clean examples can still be found for little money.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/d/peoria-kawasaki-concours/7283195946.html
View attachment 186798
Honda ST1100, first generation, same pluses as the Kawasaki. A little more expensive but bulletproof.
Suzuki Bandit 1000, good bike, but not a shaftie.

More cruiserish,
Honda 1100 Shadow
Honda VTX 1300
Yamaha Star 1300
Yamaha Star 950 Touring model
Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Touring

I don’t have any interest in a real land barge, such as an old Goldwing or a Yamaha Venture.
Few more to think about
I don't want a land barge either I'm more happy with a stripped down bike
Strap a few bags on the back and go

Do any of you guys watch Million Dollar Bogan on YouTube? What that guy puts a Road King through is hard to believe. A friend of mine has an ‘02 Road King with well over 200K miles. The engine went to 213K before overhaul. He’s still riding it.

When I worked at a bike shop a lady would come in regularly and her FZ1 was up to 289k miles when I left and it had never had the head off.

Stripped down bikes, maybe take a look at the honda nc750x, the vstroms, tenere from yamaha. I'm biased but the tigers are nice, cruise 80 at about 5krpm, redline past 10k.
20201007_082835.jpg

Back