Bead Leak on Front Tire

ontherocks

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Haven't ridden with all the heat lately. Decided to take the xs out and give her an inspection as fall is coming soon. Found the front tire to be flat. I have the cast mag wheel and a tubeless Metzler up front. Haven't had a leak since the tire was installed two years ago.
Aired it up and it rode fine. Next morning the tire is flat again. Aired it up again and sprayed soapy water all around. Found two leaks along the bead area of the tire. I would like to get another season out of this tire. Any one have a suggestion as to how to seal the leak between the tire and the rim? Any old tricks someone can share?
Thought about breaking the bead, putting some yamabond on the wheel and refilling.

Failing that, you'll have to take the tire off the rim and give it (THE RIM) a good cleaning with a green scratchy kitchen pad or maybe some medium-fine sandpaper. Glass cleaner works well with either of those to help de-crud things. Mark your valve stem and balance weight positions on the tire before you pull it off. ;-)

Last edited:
Hmm your FRONT tire has a BAD bead leak and you are looking for an easy way out? Uh you may find it in a way you weren't expecting. Wheel off, tire off inspection, buff rim, decide whether it was a corrosion issue or if a new tire is needed.

Bought some proper tire spoons and managed the tire off the wheel. Thank you youtube! Wiped down the bead area with brake fluid and let it sit in the sun for a few hours.
Inspected wheel and sanded it really well.
Wrestled the tire back on, and threw my hands in the air in triumph for making this damn tire my bitch!
Aired it up and got a satisfying pop. Checked with soapy water and found no leaks.
I'm ready to ride :thumbsup:
Thank for the suggestions guys:bike:

Way to go. Always a satisfying feeling when a project is done and done right. Ride on!
Bonus; you have new skills AND tools.

Back