Bell or Biltwell?

Flexplorer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
any opinions on helmets? i'm looking at either the Bell custom 500 or biltwell hustler. very similar so I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions. also any recommendations on what site I should buy from? thanks.

I can chime in at least on the customer service side of Bell. I have a number of their helmets, both bicycle and motorcycle. My most recent helmet is a Vortex and last month one of the hinge springs failed. Now I had only bought it last summer, but I figured that I may have broken it with my double walled winter shield or the fact that I carry it around all day at school ( I usually get two years out of a helmet before I trash it just for peace of mind). I emailed Bell asking how to purchase a replacement and their representative, without asking where/when I bought my helmet, immediately sent me absolutely free with no shipping fees or anything, a set of replacement hinges. I was astounded. Any company that treats their customers that well, which are few and far between these days, will definitely have my business for the foreseeable future.

Bell is DOT rated, Builtwell is a "novelty" helmet if I'm not mistaken. I have a Custom 500 for the bobber and a Roland Sands design full face for the cafe bike. Love'em both.

I would get the Builtwell bubble shield tho.

Posted via Mobile

biltwell makes novelty and DOT helmets now. The hustler is a DOT approved helmet.

Ya I think I might go for the Bell. I have tried one on before and really liked it. But I have not tried on a Hustler. Both nice looking helmets.

I picked up a biltwell Hustler recently, nice quality, handsome helmet, DOT approved. It has not seen any road time as my first project is still on the work bench. BUT, it is comfortable when I'm wrenching in the garage, drinking beers, alone...safety first, right?

I will say, I've ridden top of the line, pro level, Bell helmets on the mountain and road bicycles and they don't impress me much. Not the quality and stylings I'd expect from a $200 helmet.

I still miss my Harley-Davidson K Model half-shell helmet that matched the shape of the early K Model gas tank. (I think they called it a turtle tank.) It was a gift from the old man who bought the K Model and helmet brand new. I'm glad he didn't give me the K Model as they would have probably stolen that too.

I'm currently wearing a modern H-D half shell made in China and it in no way compares to the K Model helmet made in the 1950s.

You definitely have to try helmets on. Last year I went to buy a Biltwell because I was told they sit the lowest etc etc. Well I looked like a retard with it on, tried a Bell and I really wanted it to fit nice.. but fit like shit too.. Ended up with a Daytona which fit great.

Long story short.. try them on!

I have the bell custom 500. Love it. I would also recommend the Licks cycles helmet. Very light and gave me the least "bobble head" look.

thanks Hoperator! i just checked out the licks, that is by far the smallest of them all. i think i have found my helmet, add the visormatic...thats pretty badass

I have a Licks NovDot and I like it. Feels nice and light, plus comfy. Not too large, but still has a little bobble head look, but not too bad.

is anybody wearing the lick cycles helmet? i have a biltwell dot 3/4. it fits nice but very bubble head feeling. i was just looking at the licks helmets. they look very nice. any input.

is anybody wearing the lick cycles helmet? i have a biltwell dot 3/4. it fits nice but very bubble head feeling. i was just looking at the licks helmets. they look very nice. any input.
I currently have a bell custom 500. My buddy let me try out his licks helmet. It's definitely less bobble head and noticeably lighter.

Back