Bendix Gear pissin me off

No, I think over the top is better. From the side spreads it back out again. Here's the definitive thread .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

I still don't agree 100% with squeezing the clip while it's still on the gear. I think it works better off the gear.

Hi 5twins,

Just to clarify what you mean by over the top, you mean just push the clip around gear, instead of spreading it and putting it on from the side of the gear? Without seeing the part you are describing orientation can get lost.

650 thanks. I have the same tech bulletin my service manual but it doesn't help me know whether I have one of the newer clips since that was the year it transitioned, and 2 if the new mikes clips are considered the new style that would go in the new position.

Yes, place the clip on top of the gear, fit one side down into the groove, then spread it just enough to snap the other side down into the groove. From the side, you must open the end way up to get it to slide on the gear and that spreads the clip open again. That pretty much negates the tightening "fix" you just performed because it spreads and bends the clip open again.

You'll know when you see it whether or not you have the updated clip on your bike. The new one will be in the new position. It has to be because it's too large to fit in that old case notch.

Yes, place the clip on top of the gear, fit one side down into the groove, then spread it just enough to snap the other side down into the groove. From the side, you must open the end way up to get it to slide on the gear and that spreads the clip open again. That pretty much negates the tightening "fix" you just performed because it spreads and bends the clip open again.

You'll know when you see it whether or not you have the updated clip on your bike. The new one will be in the new position. It has to be because it's too large to fit in that old case notch.

Last question for you. Squeeze the clip on the gear or off, im guess off or I would not need to worry about putting it back on the gear? Do you feel you dont get enough tension with it on, as that would seem easier?

You can do it on or off the gear. I prefer to do it off. That way, you can observe the gap on the open end of the clip and see how much you've bent and changed it. With the clip on the gear, there's no way to see if you've made any change. Measuring the pull with a fishing scale is the only way to check it. I do recommend measuring the pull before and after no matter which way you do the bending. That's the only accurate way to know if you've made it tighter and tight enough.

It's not hard to pop the clip on and off, just a little prying with a screwdriver is all it takes.

i may be confusing threads, but i thought i read somewhere about being careful not to pull something related to the kickstarter out when removing the RH cover, is that correct?

Most years there is a washer between the kickstart shaft and cover. So you have to watch for what washers you have and where they are. Seems like it's about 50/50 on the kick start coming off with the cover or staying in the case.

PS; I think 5t and I agree on the spring, just semantics on what is the "side" of the gear.

Most years there is a washer between the kickstart shaft and cover. So you have to watch for what washers you have and where they are. Seems like it's about 50/50 on the kick start coming off with the cover or staying in the case.

PS; I think 5t and I agree on the spring, just semantics on what is the "side" of the gear.

Yes, you have to be careful not to pull the whole kickstart assembly out as you remove the right cover. It doesn't fit through or lock into the main engine cases. Hold in on the kicker shaft with your thumb as you work the cover off.

After I broke the wishbone spring clip on the kickstarter, I decided to make my own out of 1/8" stainless steel stick welding rod. I used a large socket as a mandrel and tapped it into shape. I used a socket a bit smaller than the OD of the gear and it was quite tight. I simply tapped the rod over on itself to form the little tail beforehand and pinched it to size with a set of pliers. It worked very well and is still in the bike going strong. That rod was TOUGH to work with, but very strong.

Back