Bendix Gear pissin me off

TampaXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I replaced my bendix gear with one from Mikes...(Mikes so far has been the source of all of my frustration) I had to put the spring clip in a vice to get it to fit and to have enough resistance. After several attempts, I got everything back together. Went to fire up the bike (with brand new oil in it) and the first couple starts were perfect and music to my ears. About the 4th time starting it, it started missing and spinning through again. Fack! Now what? First of all, what the best way to salvage my brand new oil? turn bike on its side? Second, Where do I begin after that? Maybe the spring is still too loose? Clutch not tightened enough? :wtf: Aint nobody got time fa dat. I need to ride!!! thanks! :banghead:

salvage your oil, I have a special pan for that if I need to. Dump out, dump in. but rarely have to do that. I have a fix for the starter on my new engine build, its all removed. was a grinder when I tested it....the estart system somewhere in the bike now is locked solid. My KLR is also kick only. Just used to it now.

but, perhaps an oem gear and bendix?

The drag clip included in the Mikes kit is thinner than the original. It doesn't hold the tension as well. You're better off re-using the old clip (squeezed tight again) on the new gear.

The drag clip included in the Mikes kit is thinner than the original. It doesn't hold the tension as well. You're better off re-using the old clip (squeezed tight again) on the new gear.
...................... hi i did my spring which all i did was clamp it in the bench vice and squeeze it together ,,,it works like a charm every time regards oldbiker

Yes lean the bike on the left side, no oil leaks out. some old carpet and a 5 gallon bucket to put the handle bar end on help.

I had to clamp it and squeeze it to get it to fit into the groove in the first place

Yes lean the bike on the left side, no oil leaks out. some old carpet and a 5 gallon bucket to put the handle bar end on help.

Can you give me some more detail on this? I'm gonna try to lay her over today...not sure how the bucket comes into play...

Here's the update, took it all apart again. Put the spring back in the vice....aaaand that POS broke! I'm so pissed. Have had such bad experiences with mikes xs. I'm going to start calling them Ming's XS. It's all Chinese made garbage. Oh well. Gonna kick it for a while till I can find an NOS spring. So maybe forever.

Just have to ask; you know to pop the clip in from the side, not spread it over the diameter of the groove?

I'm thinking you may not be aware of the update and change in the clip that took place in the mid '70's. It's in that thread I gave the link to. If you squeezed that clip enough to fit it into the old position, you may have gone too far with it.

You should have read and thought about post #7.
Go to Cahill's or Tampa Powersports and give them this # 90468-29062-00.
Ask them to please check for old stock on the shelf as it is no longer available to order.

@5twins
Did you ever put your coil spring back in? If not, do you still hear it when running and on the side stand?

I don't think you can over tighten the spring. It seems there was a thread on this a short time ago. They tried several ways to tighten the spring.
I found some a few years back on Ebay.
Perhaps some one on here has a spare they could let you have.
Leo

5twins linked to, as he said, the "definitive thread".
I linked to an old-old-old post Burtaut did about placement.
Tampa proved you can squeeze them too tightly cause they break. And that is end of story for that clip.
Leo, are you talking about the thread where you mentioned trying needle nose vice grips to do it while in position on the motor? Or the other thread where a poster was berated for saying to use needle nose vice grips as opposed to a vice?

im interested in this thread as well. I have a 75 and was going to order the mikes kit with the gear, and reuse the old clip if possible. On the 75 which position should I be using for the clip, im guessing if I reuse the clip in the notch, if I use the mikes XS clip, below the notch?

So putting the clip over the gear was the recommended way? That doesn't stretch it back out?

Tech bulletin on the Bendix. In my "Tech" Album.....Also read the link i posted above, Post 13
full

The recommended method of placing the spring stretches it as little as possible. From the side, one leg at a time so to speak.
If the spring fits in the notch; use the notch, the larger replacements will not fit in the notch they are made of heavier wire.

Some of us wimpy guys use the electric leg Kop.

Back