Ben's build thread

bened

wait, what?
Reaction score
hey all,

ive been hanging around the forum for a while now while starting my build and i decided im far enough along to start a build thread...

i picked up my 78' special late 2010 and immediately tore into it.

heres how she was when i picked her up:
IMG_0609.jpg

and 2 days later:
IMG_0640.jpg

i knew i wanted to go with 21" wheels front and rear so i picked up some dirtbike wheels and started dreaming up hardtail ideas...

IMG_0653.jpg

after doing some research and calling around a bit, i decided building my hardatil was the way to go, so i made a simple jig and went at it

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

after a few months of being RIDICULOUSLY busy with school, i got myself motivated again and finished up the hardtail last saturday!

IMG_1103.jpg

so thats how she sits now. still a ton more work to do but finals are over in 2 days and ill FINALLY have some decent free time!

ill try and keep updating as i go. HOPEFULLY ill have her finished and running in 2 months or so (at least before school starts back up)

Love the fresh take on a hardtail, and i like the direction with the wheels. Definitely has a Detroit Bros feel to it.

One question though, what is your ride height going to be? Looks like it might be a touch low :)

Looks good, I like your jig, might do something similar when I do mine...I do have a question... How are you going to adjust your chain..?? Also how did you centre your steering head to the jig..usually you might use a plumbob or a rod with tapered nuts to allign it & lock it all together....???

thanks a lot for the compliments guys!

@plane ben, the tanks from a 65' honda. just in case you were wondering...

@Yamaha chop, thanks! i wanted something completely different. so far i think its headed in the right direction... and ya, ride heights a TAD lower than i had supposedly measured for. it looks like it will be around 3" at the lowest point. good thing roads are nice around here 8/

@hotdog, patches is right ill be using some type of chain tensioner. as of right now i think it will be manually adjusted. i centered the frame on the jig using a plumb bob from the neck, a string down the center of the jig and LOTS of measuring. it took all afternoon for me to get it straight and get the mounts all tacked without any help...

heres my pegs :) figures that about a week after getting the pedals in the mail, i see some manufacturer offering the EXACT same ones with a pretty little machined piece to attach to the peg mounts... thats alright tho, they still spin! will they be distracting? most likely...
IMG_1083.jpg

not many updates recently. just cleaning up the frame mostly.

i did however get my bars mounted...

bars.jpg

bars2.jpg

soo a quick update

i pretty much got my seat sorted out. i think i may need to pick up a different shock as the one im using right now is FIRM. its just a rear mountain bike shock... ill probably pick up one of those air shock so i can adjust just how firm i want it to be

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

other than that i got my headlight mounted. its a bi-xenon unit off a bmw car... i have the same set up on my other bike, but it has two and they are completely enclosed in a housing... this one will have a small shroud around the open parts but thats about it. and instead of using the electronic solenoid to switch between high and low beam, im converting it to a mechanical, cable-actuated system... and yes, i meant to offset it...

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

AAAND, i got my tires...

IMG_1150.jpg

Loving the hardtail and the seat setup man, bringing a fresh take to things. Light has potential, show me what you got!

About time for fresh take on a hardtail! Lookin' Good man!

FINALLY an update. not that i havent been working on it... life is just SUPER busy and i still insist on taking on new things...

well its a roller. finally. the whole 21" rear took some time to work out, finally i got it. 98 yz250 rear hub. stock yz250 front rim. buchanon ss spokes. got the tire on today and shes finally on the ground. i have a matching tire for the front.
photo-2.jpg

i also made what was hopefully my last order for parts. pamco, ultimate coil, iridium plugs, rear brake switch, and a 520 front sprocket to match the rear dirtbike sprocket.

progress can begin again!

more progress. things seem to be moving faster now that my to do list is getting shorter.

rear master mounted
IMG_0100.jpg

narrowed my fender
IMG_0101.jpg

got it mounted(most of the way)
IMG_0106.jpg

new rear rotor is in the mail so i can finish figuring out brake spacing. 520 front sprocket is also on the way so i can get the sprockets aligned and the chain on and weld up the chain tensioner. weld up front caliper mount. finish mounting the seat. make a coil mount. wire it up. thats about it!

Back