Best Charing system for my bike.

Courtney Gubler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys this is my first post so I hope i don't offend anyone. I'm on my first build with xs650 79 special love this bike,I'm wanting to upgrade the charging system. I'm going to be kick starting this bike. I was planning on buying a dry cell battery just because i thought I needed a battery. I will be running normal headlight and Brake light with LED turn signals also I just want the bike to run awesome. I saw some high output stuff that said it would throw a bigger spark and ignite the mixture better but like I said I'm pretty new and it doesn't all make sense yet.
I guess my ? is what would be the best pamco setup for my bike or is there a better option.
Do I even need a battery with the setup.
thanks for your time and help guys

Are you wanting to upgrade the charging system or the ignition system? The Pamco setup is an ignition system upgrade. The PMA (permanent magnet alternator) is a charging system upgrade.

Being that your bike is a 79 it should have all the bushings and advance rod needed for a Pamco. One of the great things PamcoPete has done is he developed an electronic advance system that does away with the often worn, and can be troublesome, ATU. I can't speak from personal exerience on the e-advance models but the original Pamco with the high output coil definitely makes the bikes run better - easier starts, better idle and and generally more responsive all around. As far as the charging system if you are thinking of doing a PMA swap I would definitely go with HHB since their customer service is some of the best I have ever seen. If your charging system is working it is not really necessary but there are definitely advantages to the PMA. No brushes to wear out and a more modern reg/rec which should give you a charging system that requires less maintenance. Both of these systems are good upgrades for your bike and in my opinion if your systems are not working properly, or need alot of parts to get working properly, are the best options. They may be a little on the expensive side but with the customer service and support these two offer along with the overall reliability of the systems they are well worth the expense.

Same here people, I upgraded to a pamco , with a tc bro pma and been riding ever since , not one electronic brake down the whole season.

PMA and a PAMCO is the best money you can spend on your xs650

Thanks for getting back so quick. High output pamco for sure and a pma
swap, with the swap do I still need a battery? I will only be kick starting the bike and wouldn't mind not having to find a spot for the battery with the way I'm setting the bike up.
Thanks again for the help guys.

You will still need a capacitor as stated or a small battery. I used to use a Sparx capacitor on mine but with a capacitor you will get some pulsing in the headlight at idle so I have recently changed over to a Ballistic 4-cell battery hidden in a gutted starter since I am kick only also, I have yet to run it to really know how it works. If you would like I can post some on what I did or you could take a look at Osteoderms build thread "good heart, bad intentions" for the original inspiration, he was building a capacitor bank in a gutted starter. I found out after I started down that road that he also went with the 4-cell battery in the gutted starter.

Depending on the condition of your advance timing unit that Pamco should be ok. As far as the PMA goes I would have to advise you to go with Hugh's Handbuilt as Mikes customer service is horrible, from what I have seen, and I don't know anything about the makers of the xscharge system. Hugh may cost you a little more but his customer service and his contributions here make it an esay choice for me.

Back