Best Fork Oil

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been getting some funky sensation out of the front forks on bumps and occasionally on braking, so the first impulse is to change the oil - been a while. What recommendations are out there for type and grade. The Haynes miss-information guide recommends "10, 20 or 30 weight motor oil or special fork oil" - what ever that is. Talk about covering the bases.

Appreciate the comments as always. Has been great riding up here when it ain't raining.

Cheers.

There's a thread in the tech section on fork oil, have a look at it.
I used 10/30.

Answers like this will vary depending on rider preference. As an average, I would go with 20wt. FORK oil. But first, I would check a proper manual for suggested specs.

I like the suggested 7 ozs, i have seen on the thread. Probably give it a try as i was running only 5.4 as per Haynes.

Been getting some funky sensation out of the front forks on bumps and occasionally on braking, so the first impulse is to change the oil - been a while. What recommendations are out there for type and grade. The Haynes miss-information guide recommends "10, 20 or 30 weight motor oil or special fork oil" - what ever that is. Talk about covering the bases.
Appreciate the comments as always. Has been great riding up here when it ain't raining.
Cheers.
Hi Shipper,
oil weight and amount? Thicker oil and/or more oil equals stiffer damping.
Fork oil vs engine oil? Fork oil only has low temperature additives. Engine oil has high temperature additives.
Haynes is right, use what you fancy, just about anything will work.

Yes, slightly more than the recommended amount of oil will greatly reduce nose diving when you brake. The '78 and later factory manuals recommend 10wt. fork oil for the 35mm forks. That's all I've ever used and it seems to work fine. I only use real fork oil. You're going to find that people fill their forks with everything short of pissing in them, lol.

In 1977, the 1st year the 35mm forks came out, Yamaha recommended 20wt. oil. I think they realized the error in their ways and changed that spec to 10wt. on all the later years.

Hi Shipper,
oil weight and amount? Thicker oil and/or more oil equals stiffer damping.
Fork oil vs engine oil? Fork oil only has low temperature additives. Engine oil has high temperature additives.
Haynes is right, use what you fancy, just about anything will work.

That's useful. I was about to add more of the same. By your advice it should be less of a lower weight. I'll let you know the results. Thx.

Back