Best place to add a voltmeter?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a voltmeter I want to add into my wiring harness, what is the recommended place to splice it in? I'm thinking right after the regulator/rectifier? Or further along, like after the fuse box?

thanks

Aaron

Since I am guessing you will want to see it while operating the ignition switch wires are conveniently located in the headlight nacelle so it;s easy peasy to have a short lead from there to the handlebar area. The brown wire is switched. Oops looked at your pic forget the stock location, anywhere after the main switch. Tied to a coil lead may be informative.

... you will want to see it while operating the ignition switch wires are conveniently located in the headlight nacelle so it;s easy peasy to have a short lead from there to the handlebar area...

+1. And don't even ride one of these bikes without a voltage gauge. If you're anything like me, you don't like unpleasant surprises.

TC

Voltmeters are great, but there's also a simple mod to turn the headlight indicator light into a charging indicator light. Might be some good redundancy, or a 'for now' measure while you do a nice job wiring in a voltmeter.

Here is the wiring diagram for the no charge warning "White Light" .

whitelight.jpg

whitelight2.jpg

The headlight fail light will come on if the brushes, rotor, regulator or stator fails or any of the associated wiring. If the rectifier fails, you may not get a warning because there will still be enough output to keep the safety relay energized, but you will also not lose your battery voltage completely either.

In regards to the "White Light". The white light is always on and brightens a bit with the high beam also the Red light is constantly on as well. In an effort to distinguish this ominous light on my 1980G, I tested charging voltage at the battery and at 3k it reads 14.2v. I changed the light checker, the safety relay and the reserve lighting unit. The tail light and stop light are functioning as expected. Possibly the headlight low beam filament is fried but I do have an after market wiring harness from MikesXS. Mmmm I wonder? Could it be I have the wrong year reserve lighting unit or light checker installed?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Glenn

Last edited:
I'd connect the meter right at the battery connector. What you want to know is your charging voltage; the voltage at the battery. Use your hand held meter if you want to diagnose the bike...

Of course the power for the meter needs to be from downstream of the ignition switch.

^The only thing is you'd have to make sure it wasn't a load on the battery while the bike was shut down.

Back