Best PMA kit ?

timeconsuming

In Nonsense Is Strength
Reaction score
Hey guys

My bike (xs650, '76 frame with what I'm told is a '79 engine) has a Pamco ignition but as far as I can tell otherwise stock electrical and charging parts (brushes, etc).

Well, I was having charging issues, super dull lighting soon (bright at first) after fully charged battery installed, battery draining while at idle and not charging sufficiently while riding, thus eventually bike shutting off and not kicking over, etc etc.

My first thought was to just strip the ragged wiring and simply rewire from scratch, simplifying things and hopefully solving some issues along the way.

Well the ultimate in simplicity and dependability seems to be the PMA upgrade I see is so popular.

My question is whats everyone's top pick for a PMA kit? I assume the kit comes with the PMA, the mounting bracket, maybe some wiring, a reg/rec... anything else? Like I said I already have a PAMCO so that wouldn't be necessary.

Also anything worth noting regarding upgrading to a PMA? I know there are some good threads regarding them but figured I would open the topic up in case anyone has any new insight.

Thanks guys

That was the other thing I meant to ask.. I imagine it makes a pretty substantial difference, as it basically modernizes the troublesome stock charging system..

Night and day difference? Just that much more dependable? Better performance (lighting wise or otherwise)?

I plan on running a small single filament headlight and an LED taillight so there won't be much draw on the electrical really.. will likely opt for a small battery as opposed to a capacitor though.

Any pros and cons regarding capacitor vs small batteries when installing a PMA setup?

Just spotted this post and am pretty convinced to go through Hugh!

:thumbsup:You guys are very kind. I really appreciate that! Your continued support helps fund new product development. I had an opportunity to sell my parts through MikesXS, but the amount I have to discount the kits to sell through them put me below my actual costs. I couldn't keep up with demand AND take a loss on products. We offer only the best components, with a 1 year no questions asked warranty.

The kits sold through XScharge (TC Bros, MikesXS, etc..) seem to be working quite well. Theirs is 130 watts, and ours is 200 watts. We do try to offer some of the best customer service possible, as it is more important to me to see these old bikes running and folks enjoying their time with them than making huge profits... In order to do that, we simply cannot offer lower quality components to make our kits cheaper.

That said, if anyone is struggling to make the 10% difference in cost justifiable, email me and I'll be glad to work with you, offer a small discount, etc... Especially if you purchase any of our other products at the same time :thumbsup:

Hugh - Hugh's HandBuilt

Charging system is the weakest point of Yamaha XS650. It gets failed for many reasons like old age, vibrations and moisture. So it should get treated soon to get the most of your xs650. For this there are many Permanent Magnet Alternation kits are available. With the help of these kits no cutting or splicing of your stock wiring harness is required.

Deffinately go with hughs. And if you're worried about the harness just make your own. It's simple to do with a pamco and pma and there's tons of info here for that.

Yeah I was gonna make my own without the PMA but sort of feel like if I'm gonna put in the work to upgrade my electrical I may as well go ahead and invest in the PMA now so I don't have to remake the wiring later or worry about brushes and rotors.

another recommendation for Hugh's. top notch guy, with great customer service!

Did you identify your engine. could have the wiring set up wrong for that engine. causing the charging problem.

What about the R/R? Everything I've read says to go with a MOSFET type, but does it really make that much difference? What kind comes in the kits? On another non xs bike I went with the Shindengen FH020AA (FH016AA) but I can't seem to find info on anybody using them on the xs650s.

Definitely would go with Hugh's Kit, plenty of info supporting that on the forums. I was just wondering if the R/R in any of these kits was MOSFET and if it really matters as much as sites like this say. Not saying to get that other R/R it was just an example of the type of I was asking about.

Back