Best Pod Filters?

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ya'll.

I'm going to be putting pod filters on my '79 XS and i'm wondering which you all like? I like the look of the K&N's but i want to know which is working best with your bike. I know i will have to finagle with the carbs but looking to do that as little as possible. Will also will probably be running pandemonium Ya-Mama exhaust. But that is not for sure yet. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks gang.

-garrett

I listened to 5twins, he seems to know a lot about carbs, go with uni filter. Youll have to rejet your carbs according to any modifications. There is a carb guide floating around.

I got mine from amazon, but you can also get it from dealerships.

I've run emgo pods stock, then chopped them up to remove the rubber restriction, then went to MikesXS K&N knock offs. They were a improvement, but enough people vouch for the UNI pod filters I'd give them a try for the cash.

I like the new shorty style much better than the longer style, though I bet there is some performance gain to be had running the longer ones.

The K&N style filter, and the many knock offs create excess air flow turbulence through the carb. This effects the vacuum signal for the slides. This causes a flat spot a bit off idle that is very hard to tune out. The shorter and more tapered the stronger the effect. The longer straighter versions will be slightly better.
I spent weeks trying to tune this flat spot out. I finally took others advice and tried the Uni-Filters, tuning over. Flat spot gone.
Leo

For your BS38 carbs, you will want the UNI UP4200 or UP4200ST (dual layer). The 2" I.D. mounting flange fits like a glove on the BS38s. Since you're building a scrambler and will probably be off road in dusty, dirty conditions, the dual layer version may be what you want. It's simply the standard 4200 with an extra red foam sock slipped over it. You can remove it and be left with a standard filter if you don't like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-UP4200-Universal-Urethane/dp/B000OO0X9A

And as far as oiling them goes, don't get the special foam filter oil they make, it's too thick for these and will clog them. Just use a 50-50 mix of gas and plain motor oil.

I run the Uni Pods also.

Attachments

• 59D5F3E9-DECC-4570-A08B-814CF7052BC8.jpeg
    59D5F3E9-DECC-4570-A08B-814CF7052BC8.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 608
For your BS38 carbs, you will want the UNI UP4200 or UP4200ST (dual layer). The 2" I.D. mounting flange fits like a glove on the BS38s. Since you're building a scrambler and will probably be off road in dusty, dirty conditions, the dual layer version may be what you want. It's simply the standard 4200 with an extra red foam sock slipped over it. You can remove it and be left with a standard filter if you don't like it.

And as far as oiling them goes, don't get the special foam filter oil they make, it's too thick for these and will clog them. Just use a 50-50 mix of gas and plain motor oil.
O bad ass ya ill get the dule ones its like 51 mm and is there a good place to buy them found them on some sights for like 20$ each

5Twins - would you happen to know what size the BS34 carbs would use?

Thanks,

Pete

Believe it or not, the BS34 intake bells have a larger diameter than the BS38s. You can force the 4200's on there but it's quite a stretch. I prefer going up a size to the UP4229. This has a 2 1/4" mounting flange I.D. The BS34 intake bells are about 55mm or almost 2 3/16". The 4229 snugs down nicely on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-UP4229-Universal-Urethane/dp/B003XHTPG2

And Amazon seems to be the cheapest place to get them, in the States anyway. If you go to the list of other sellers in the link above, you'll find them as cheap as $13.50.

Back