Best Rest Area

Do many get killed by cougars?? The worst we have in the UK are hedgehogs.

The wiki on them says only 20 or so since 1890 to present. And most were children stalked and taken as prey. I would attribute that to their elusive nature and the fact they haven't become reliant on urban food supplies like bear, coyotes, coons, skunks, and possums.
And they will feed on deer, elk, moose, so I wouldn't count on them being a small prey feeder only.
I grew up near the Canadian River in OK and the locals have seen them on occasion. The conservation people deny it but . . . . I've glimpsed them running twice. Both times at night and in headlights.

I've been gone all day, and all cougar-hell has broken out !

There's been a misunderstanding of what I was talking about....

ont-Sexy-font-b-cougar-b-font-Leopard-cat-lady-cat.jpg

interesting ! I wonder if that Cougar purrs ?
um anyway.....
upload_2017-9-17_15-44-51.jpeg
goodnature.nathab.com

TRUTH: A common misconception is that grizzly bears, unlike black bears, cannot climb trees. While its long claws make climbing more difficult for a grizzly than for a black bear, a grizzly can get to you in a tree – it will more likely, however, be able to reach you before you reach the tree.
I got that from my google search.....
I've read many stories of survival in the wilds, and all of them paint a picture of "it's allot more dangerous than you think !"
Judging at the speed our Hudge 1000lb Hog could move when she was mad as a young man I was so surprised that she could actually RUN!
but not only Run but she went through her Hog wire fence when she did and it didn't even begin to slow her down.......
the Coyote she saw and chased was after her piglets and Momma was pissed... she covered 50 yards in about half a second.
i've never seen a coyote put it in gear like that guy did he knew his ass was grass if he didn't move and so he did in a very quick way.
the hog lost sight of him when she went through the fence and luckily didn't regain visual contact with her prey or I'ed have been chasing that hog all night ! ...
what really amazes me of wild critters is the speeds at which they can run when pressed....
my Dad and I witnessed a coyote catch a chicken and exit the premises at mach 6 all he was was a blur a poof of feathers and the exit blur with a patch of white in it of the chicken. and it's not like we were all that close so it would seam faster..we were almost a block away and we hurd 3 or 4 coyotes yip and howl and were trying to see them when this streak of tan and brown blur went from the peripheral vision to the chicken pin and out the other side of my peripheral vision.... My Dad grabbed the gun and hunted him down, can't have a chicken Killer.
i've no idea how fast he was going but I know it was faster than 60mph because I could do 60 on my bike and it took longer to cover that distance than he did ! ....
the books say 45mph tops for a Coyote but I got news for ya ,....they can move allot faster than that !
..... As for Hazards on a Motorcycle.... all critters even small birds are a major hazard.... I caught a blue-Jay on the helmet doing 45mph
and the impact was so hard it spun me around on the seat..... I didn't crash but did a 360deg turn on the seat of that step through 50cc
honda..... I was allot smaller back then but remember it well, and duck when birds fly close now......
some critters seam to have a death wish when it comes to cars and motorcycles.... Deer along a freeway are the worst... they are used to cars
but when a noisy motorcycle comes by they are startled and sprint in any direction....not good !
Bob.......

We've had a cougar out here. It'll drag its kill up into a tree, and you'll find a carcass up there. At night, listen for what sounds like a woman screaming in the distance. Also have bobcat, fox, coyote, mexican mountain wolf (that guy was 38" to the top of his shoulders).

Then there's the varmints.

Right now, the most dangerous thing out here is feral cats. After Harvey blew thru here and things dried out, the momma cats dragged their sick, starved, survivors up to my door, yeowing for help.

Goodbye free time.

So far, I've been able to save 6 of the seven.
TheHexen.jpg

GOOD MAN 2m ! glad your in the position to help them ! but be warned they multiply like Rabbits ! and you'll soon be hip deep in 50 cats !
you have to get the Momma cats fixed there is no 2 ways about it.... or when she is in heat she will find a male somewhere and have more
and a cat can and will have 3 litters per year..... and the females of that litter are ready to breed in a year or less.....
so within a year you'll have 50 cats !
at the Ranch I started feeding stray cats.... so they hung around..... I have no problems with cats and they keep down the mice....a good thing to keep snakes away..... but within the year we had 24 cats the next year well over 50 and the neighbor called animal control on us
they came out and gathered all our dogs and most of the cats and left me traps to catch more.... I wouldn't do it because they just killed them all..... so be for warned get them FIXED NOW ! or be hip deep in Kittycats within the year....
and buddy they can destroy the inside of your house real fast...once they start to play I had to run them out!!!!!!
Bob......

We've had a cougar out here. It'll drag its kill up into a tree, and you'll find a carcass up there. At night, listen for what sounds like a woman screaming in the distance. Also have bobcat, fox, coyote, mexican mountain wolf (that guy was 38" to the top of his shoulders).

Then there's the varmints.

Right now, the most dangerous thing out here is feral cats. After Harvey blew thru here and things dried out, the momma cats dragged their sick, starved, survivors up to my door, yeowing for help.

Goodbye free time.

So far, I've been able to save 6 of the seven.
View attachment 106144
Awwwwww.....thats about the cutest picture I've seen in a while.
So good of you to rescue them.
Gives new meaning to the name, TwoMany.

About 25 years ago, there were many feral cats living in the woods around my workplace in downtown Syracuse, and I heard that the physical plant director planned to eradicate them with his favorite tool, a nightstick. I managed to rescue one kitten, who I named, Winker, as he had only one eye. He lived for awhile under my office desk in a box. Eventually, the bloody director discovered this, so it came home to live in my garage. Took some time just now to find the photo (pre-digital).

Bear.jpg

We had a few Kittens with swollen Eyes and the problem is that their mother is too busy trying to find food that she neglects the kittens and their eyes get infected.... the eyelids need to be forced open so they can drain, a nasty job... but a bit of water will help
a few of 2M's kittens look like their close to having that problem...... the sleep in the eyes of the little guys glues the eyelids shut and they need to be open...if their not the eyeball will dissolve ! took me a long time to discover what caused that so keep those eyes OPEN
....learn how to Cat wrap with a towel so you don't get scratched up..... and the critters will shun you like the plague after you open their eyes a few times...but it needs to be done or they will go blind.
I had one little guy that had both eyes glued shut and he tried real hard to get them open but just couldn't do it on his own so I opened them for him and I was his bud after that...most would run off but not him....
and one kitten strangled himself on threads from the tattered blanket that was on the bed.... i heard a few mews but didn't pay it much attention, as I was on the computer at the time.... I looked and saw him suspended playing in the treads..... didn't think much of it as they are all over everything all the time..... I looked again and he wasn't moving and I thought that's not right... and got to him just in time to save his life
he had tangled himself up so well that he could not get free.... i broke the threads and got them off his neck but he still wasn't moving so I massaged his chest in a breathing manor and he started moving again.... it was damn close for that kitten ..... we named him Lucky
and he followed me all over the place for a long time ! LOL
I buried allot of Kittens but saved a few as well..... life is not easy for Critters !
Bob......

We had a few Kittens with swollen Eyes and the problem is that their mother is too busy trying to find food that she neglects the kittens and their eyes get infected.... the eyelids need to be forced open so they can drain, a nasty job... but a bit of water will help
a few of 2M's kittens look like their close to having that problem...... the sleep in the eyes of the little guys glues the eyelids shut and they need to be open...if their not the eyeball will dissolve ! took me a long time to discover what caused that so keep those eyes OPEN
....learn how to Cat wrap with a towel so you don't get scratched up..... and the critters will shun you like the plague after you open their eyes a few times...but it needs to be done or they will go blind.
I had one little guy that had both eyes glued shut and he tried real hard to get them open but just couldn't do it on his own so I opened them for him and I was his bud after that...most would run off but not him....
and one kitten strangled himself on threads from the tattered blanket that was on the bed.... i heard a few mews but didn't pay it much attention, as I was on the computer at the time.... I looked and saw him suspended playing in the treads..... didn't think much of it as they are all over everything all the time..... I looked again and he wasn't moving and I thought that's not right... and got to him just in time to save his life
he had tangled himself up so well that he could not get free.... i broke the threads and got them off his neck but he still wasn't moving so I massaged his chest in a breathing manor and he started moving again.... it was damn close for that kitten ..... we named him Lucky
and he followed me all over the place for a long time ! LOL
I buried allot of Kittens but saved a few as well..... life is not easy for Critters !
Bob......
You've been many places and accomplished a lot, Bob, and now we can say that you've been a compassionate animal rescuer.

LoL yep I love critters More than I love people, that's just how I am.... I've learned how to be a fair vet over the years and learned that the "Equate 3 in 1 antibacterial ointment" from walmart is the best stuff on critters , from ear troubles to infected cuts.... never had it fail !
I use it on my cuts as well.... if it's good for the Dog it's good enough fer me ! LOL
I know that an infection needs to be opened so it can drain...then it will start to heal another nasty job but the 3 in 1 ointment usually will do that for you.... problem is cats and dogs lick it off as fast as you put it on so ya gott'a rub it in good and discourage the licking... our old Basset mut, over 17 years old is smart enough now that when I tell him "Hay ! don't lick that off " he at least waits till I'm not looking ! LOL
the cats not so much ! I just wish I could do more..... sometimes my best just isn't enough !
I have stopped several times to put a deer out of their misery that someone has hit..... sometimes Animal rescue means saving them from pain
but it's the right thing to do and I don't shy from it.
Bob.......

Yes, all of them were blind from that eyelid glue. That pic is from a few days later, after their eyes started clearing up. They're all also on amoxicillin.

Thanx for the tip on the "Equate 3 in 1 antibacterial ointment".

A small dollop of Neosporin, applied with a q-tip directly into the cat's eyes, will stop the glue/crust and kill the infection. You have to feed them first, to the point where they almost pass out. Otherwise, it's like playing Jenga during an earthquake...

Last edited:
LOL ! Yes that describes it fairly well ! HAHAHAH ! I've put the 3 in 1 in kittens eyes as well and it helps but I think anything even water burns to those little guys they don't like it at all... but I mainly did it for infection protection....and it works a treat !
we had the vet out for one of our horses one time as she developed a bump on her leg and he checked it out and said it's just a sack that needs drained... I was right in there learning what he was doing and when Dad told him to go ahead and drain it he did... he took a razor sharp double edged blade and cleaned the area first with a strong disinfectant and pushed it in about 1/2" ( on a horse that wasn't even as deep as the mussel just through the hide)... she stomped her foot like it hurt but it wasn't much but the pink shit that came out was horrid ! he said put this stuff on that cut I just made for a week or so and it will heal up fine.... in a day or two you'ed never have known she had a softball size bump on her leg..... I've done that a few times on cows but never on dogs.... and My basset needs it badly he has one on his ankle but I'm too chicken to do it.... and if I take him to the vet the vet will just say do you wann'a put him to sleep because of his age ! so it's not bothering him at all so if he can live with it so can I LOL
A old remedy I heard of for deworming a Dog was about a cup of salt in about 2 cups of warm water and pour it down him
i've never tried it and don't think i ever will de-worming pills aren't that expensive ! but it worked years ago.......kind'a unpleasant for the dog though..as he will barf his heels up along with the worms.....
I've found that in MOST cases where you think a critter needs sewed up say cut with glass or bob wire or something deep and wide
that just pulling the hide together with tape is usually good enough to leave a minimal scar but the important thing is antibiotic ointment of some kind and check it often and make sure it's draining you do not want to sew a critter up so good he don't leak anymore ...that's a no-no
the wound needs to be able to drain or infection will set in immediately....
I remember that I sewed up with fishing line a critter.......it was the horse... a 3" long deep cut bleeding fairly well after she ran into the trailer..... so I grabbed a needle and went to work I put a couple of loops and tied it off in 3 places and there were spreadings of the flesh between the tie spots but I figured that would have to do ... took almost an hour to do that and I got stepped on 2 or 3 times in the process ...she let me know she didn't like it even though sis was holding her head... about a week later I went to take out the stitches and all of them were gone but one.... so I removed it with the plyers...snipped the loops and just pulled the short pieces out.... it worked good.
3 days I find out later would have been plenty of time for the flesh to nit and stay knitted with the stitches removed on the far side 4 days
.....don't use string or thread as it will WICK in moisture and bacteria...that's why fishing line. the vet told me that !
on a big wound it needs to be covered to keep the dirt off of it but some areas like a cut pad of a paw it's near impossible to cover and keep covered..... that calls for the 3 in 1 morning noon and night....yes 3 times a day if their running around anyway, but they heal very fast on their feet 2 days and they'll be fine.
I thought I was going to loose my favorite cat I named Sherman as he came limping up to me one day out of the blue....i figured it was a thorn in his foot but evidently he had a broken leg... I should have taken him to the vet and been charged $500 to $1000 bucks but I just don't have it to do that with... so I checked him out and he had some puncture marks on his knee..so I figured he got in a cat fight and that was the cause.... i put the 3 in 1 ointment on him but he still wouldn't use the leg at all, and he layed around allot not doing anything very unlike him.... I snuck up on him while he was sleeping and his whole leg was swollen from the shoulder down so I put more stuff on him and he woke up and was not happy that Doc Kelly was working on him ! i could feel all the bones and they didn't seam broken so I just figured he was sore .... this was at the beginning of summer this year and he is just now using it... the bone must have been cracked ...
maybe he got in a fight with the Racoon....if so I bet he leaves him alone next time !
.....ya gott'a keep an eye on them critters ! ..... they really are smart things they just don't have the vocal cords like we do but if you put yourself in their place how would you communicate ? remember they had no schooling so saying I'ed bark 3 times for yes and 2 times for no don't cut it because they don't know what 3 times is but they will tell you allot of things if you pay attention... body language is what they do
but their so frigging fast with it it's easy to miss !!! and Eye contact ! they use that all the time !
My boys are pros at looking at me and looking at the dog leash ! .....and they will do it over and over till I get the idea ! lol
a horse will use it's eyes alot too ...and point with the nose..... see that bridle , no look at me, notice I look at the bridle hanging there ?
no dammit your not getting the hint... stuff nose in face... now look deep into the eyes and then look at the bridle..... damm kid your slow !
......took me a long time before I got the hint... she had to go over and point with her nose then I said Oh you want to go for a ride ? nussel nussel nussel...... I'll take that as a yes !
LOL
such was life at the Ranch ! ....I miss it !
Bob.......

Ahh Dude a publisher could never read my spelling..... especially if it was hand written ! LOL
Cats are harder to get rid of than the common cold !
so How about "Free clutch pushrod with Kitten" ?
or if worst comes to worse..... free XS650 but you must take ALL the Cats ! all 50 of them ! LOL.... ( just thinking ahead for ya 2M ! )
Bob........

Back