best thing to cover wiring up. custom harness

Here is mine that I just got done with today. Pretty simple but requires a good bit of planning. Took me all day as I didn't have everything laid out so I was figuring it out as I was building. The rest is on the bike, but this gives you an idea of how its all setup.

image-110.jpg

heres what i used. not quite as nice as shrink wrap or tape, but easily put on, i think it looks decent, and you can take it off if you need to get to something. This is the 3/8ths inch size, which only holds about 3 wires inside the wrap. i might have wanted to get the bigger size. i got 100 ft for $17 on ebay, so cheap too.

try this site the price seems right and you can buy as short as 5'
https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Heat-shrink-Tubing/b?ie=UTF8&node
I am going to use it to when pulling my wires back through the handle bars from the light/turn signal switch
I'm sure the original covering for all the 6 wires will to brittle

Last edited:
Grey, your amazon link doesn’t work for me. I’ve used the same stuff as Frky above and liked it. Just takes some planning in advanced. I don’t have a hot knife so I just used adhesive lined heat shrink on the ends to keep from fraying or unraveling. Looks nice and clean.

Grey, your amazon link doesn’t work for me. I’ve used the same stuff as Frky above and liked it. Just takes some planning in advanced. I don’t have a hot knife so I just used adhesive lined heat shrink on the ends to keep from fraying or unraveling. Looks nice and clean.
It worked when I first posted WTF // try cut and past it works then

Last edited:
I may have to head that direction it does look good and it might make it easier to snake through the handle bars into the headlight bucket

Here is mine that I just got done with today. Pretty simple but requires a good bit of planning. Took me all day as I didn't have everything laid out so I was figuring it out as I was building. The rest is on the bike, but this gives you an idea of how its all setup.
It does look good ! I am going to get the braided and shrink wrap it makes the job look clean
Thanks!
image-110.jpg

Just ordered it hard to tell exactly what size I needed but I bought 3 different sizes (wiring is still in the handle bars and I wanted to get the parts here) It will get used somewhere
Thanks again

I used the factory sheathing inside the handlebars. The mesh will snag easier if it finds a rough point in the entry or exit holes. If you use it in your bars I suggest filing the openings nice and smooth.

I used the factory sheathing inside the handlebars. The mesh will snag easier if it finds a rough point in the entry or exit holes. If you use it in your bars I suggest filing the openings nice and smooth.
I may have to use shrink wrap because the old sheathing is pretty brittle
Thanks

I used this stuff https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HKWZMSK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title and wire loom tape at each end, and at any point where wires had to split off from the main harness. It’s cheap, easy to use, and I think it looks pretty clean. It says it’s got a high temp resistance but I wouldn’t put much stock in that, but it’s not hard to route wires in such a way that they’re not resting directly on any major heat sources

Attachments

• BEB3C6B6-C946-4D38-A387-2745057BF680.jpeg
    BEB3C6B6-C946-4D38-A387-2745057BF680.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 124
Braided sheathing is pretty forgiving stuff if you have to add or splice into the harness like I`ve had to do more than once. I`m starting on the no theme wiring this week and will use this again for sure. Wiring,:thumbsdown::umm::(
wiring 001.JPG wiring 008.JPG wiring 006.JPG wiring 004.JPG wiring 005.JPG

Braided sheathing is pretty forgiving stuff if you have to add or splice into the harness like I`ve had to do more than once. I`m starting on the no theme wiring this week and will use this again for sure. Wiring,:thumbsdown::umm::(
View attachment 139120 View attachment 139121 View attachment 139122 View attachment 139123 View attachment 139124
I'm just re doing from the headlight switch into the headlight bucket and I want to protect the wiring as I pull out and pull it back in
I bought 3 sizes of the braided and 3 sizes of shrink tubing something should work
I need 2 bikes 1 to work on and the other to ride cause I never want to get to deep into my only ride
Thanks to you all for the advice

Back