Bet this one's not been asked before...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Guys, after the ABS plastic runner on my one-carb experimental intake broke, I'm having to figure something out that sits a little more inboard and is not bumped by my left leg when I kick (I straddle the bike and kick with my right leg). I'm working in a tight space, behind a modified left side cover, so my options at the moment are either a cone filter, or a short stack with perhaps some sort of flame retardant micro-foam or something. Cosmetically, the latter would be my preference, but I'm waiting on a cone from Mike's to experiment with.

Now, here's the dumb question:

The element in the cone is that god-awful red. Hate that. Black would be better. So, assuming that the cone will fit the space okay, can the element be safely dyed, with perhaps spray fabric dye? The cone will be exposed prominently, and that red will look heinous on my bike.

Thoughts welcome on this, as well as on ideas to get a short stack to filter for road use; I really like the look of a stack but also want to achieve safe filtering.

Thanks -

TC

Exactly, Stone. Thanks for taking the trouble, btw... I'm a visual type too.

The filter that's on the way from Mike's is actually an oval for this specific carb. My hope is that it will sit in the opening of the modified side cover without too much interference. I figured that if it does not work, it's an inexpensive experiment. A short stack is the next option, but even if that worked, I'd want to run more than just a screen.

I'd make a short elbow, but I can't work metal (easily). Hence the plastic which worked well, but was not durable, and was a bit in the way.

TC

hmmm an elbow with a short stack...i like that idea. I might have to steal that idea from you....:D

Just before you posted that, Tech, I read that somewhere. I think there is actually black and blue oil, though!

That said, I'm waiting on the filter, but don't know how long it will take to show up because of the sale of Mike's. So just for grins, I ordered an MFG Supply 62mm stack for my Mikuni. I suppose I'll try both. Might try to figure out a way to add a bit of blue microfoam to the stack. (Anyone who, as a kid, at least once, HAD to have fox tails on their bicycle, or put playing cards in their spokes, will understand why I HAVE to at least try that stack. :p )

TC

DAMN, that would be perfect, I think, Bill! It's 60mm, but might go over a 62mm bell because it looks like a soft ring. Why have I never seen that??!!

I'll try the one I ordered first... at least I have this option. DAMN... wish I had seen that!

Thanks!

TC

Well, still waiting for the filter from Mike's, but the stack from MFG came. It fits perfectly.

There is actually a little piece of white filtration foam in there right out of the box, and it can be changed; the rubber ring and screen are removable. So I might get and cut a disc of foam that's a bit thicker.

I have not started or ridden the bike yet with it installed, but it should surely be better than a wide open carb! Also, as you can see from the pics, it should be out of the way of my leg, and there's no ABS to break.

TC

Attachments

• 100_1129.jpg
    100_1129.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_1131.jpg
    100_1131.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_1134.jpg
    100_1134.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_1135.jpg