Big Bore Big Block Kit i just found on a new source!

For those considering the XSPerformance BBK

This is all based on memories from when dinosaurs roamed the earth and a few details may not be exact.

I’m pretty sure when Yamaha was designing the 650 they had every intention of the bike being capable of being stretched to 750. In fact I think the 650 probably would of been a 750 except for the cachet of the British twins and the forthcoming TX750.

My experience with 750 kits ranges back to 1976 and the wiseco kit. The setup I had in Old Brown was the 10 to 1 CR. Kit, stock cam and BS38 carbs.

I had ridden the stock 650 for about 9 months when it started to smoke on trailing throttle. Most my buddies had done the BBK with VM34 carbs and those bikes would run away and hide from me so I figured had to go into the top end anyway so why not.

Contrary to what I’ve read on the forums I think the BBK is smoother than the stock setup especially at lower rpm. I suspect the vacuum carbs had better velocity through them due to the increased air flow.

The other change I made was a 32 tooth rear sprocket which cruising at the double nickel of the time put the rpms in a better harmonic range.

All and all the BBK made for a much better bike.

The race bike engine was a 10.5 to 1 cr with VM34 carbs, 2 into 1 Hooker Header, pretty wild cam and some clean up of the ports.

It was a beast. Push start only. Even with the cam it still had good low end grunt but could pull 8300 rpm in 5th and was a blast to ride. With a 36 tooth rear it would loft the front end going from first to second.

The take away from all this is both engines were reliable and a noticeable improvement over stock.

Been a while since posting. I have no idea about who sells, what and where, but 650 Direct has nothing like what it used too.
I can no longer access what looks like 60% of the parts that used to be there. Everything is quoted in USD(unless you change the currency option.. No longer boasting that XS650direct only sells in Canada) and the navigation is horrible. :(
Thank gawd I purchased most of my parts for the restore "before" this change..
Nice to see everyone is still kicking around and able to pull some positive in the COVID world!
:p

650Direct.......just click on.... "Select Motorcycle"...... Don't select model, year, etc.

Left side has a list of areas on the bike with drop downs to individual parts within that area.
Screenshot_2021-02-09 XS650Direct - Products.png

THX Skull, but what I was saying was they don't have the parts available like they used too.
For EX: There used to be multiple PAMCO systems available for the 77, now there are none based on using "choose make/model before year"
Valve Lapping tools/compound.. Poof

Pamco Pete stopped making the original Pamco ignitions a couple, or so years ago now. Mikes/650 Direct, made a knock off and still called it a Pamco for a while. Some of the Suppliers still use the name Pamco in advertising but don't actually have any Pamco products. I don't think the name was copyrighted so any one can use it............what you get now, if buying a new Pamco, could be anything. What it wont have is the warranty or quality control the original Pamco had.

For those considering the XSPerformance BBK

This is all based on memories from when dinosaurs roamed the earth and a few details may not be exact.

I’m pretty sure when Yamaha was designing the 650 they had every intention of the bike being capable of being stretched to 750. In fact I think the 650 probably would of been a 750 except for the cachet of the British twins and the forthcoming TX750.

My experience with 750 kits ranges back to 1976 and the wiseco kit. The setup I had in Old Brown was the 10 to 1 CR. Kit, stock cam and BS38 carbs.

I had ridden the stock 650 for about 9 months when it started to smoke on trailing throttle. Most my buddies had done the BBK with VM34 carbs and those bikes would run away and hide from me so I figured had to go into the top end anyway so why not.

Contrary to what I’ve read on the forums I think the BBK is smoother than the stock setup especially at lower rpm. I suspect the vacuum carbs had better velocity through them due to the increased air flow.

The other change I made was a 32 tooth rear sprocket which cruising at the double nickel of the time put the rpms in a better harmonic range.

All and all the BBK made for a much better bike.

The race bike engine was a 10.5 to 1 cr with VM34 carbs, 2 into 1 Hooker Header, pretty wild cam and some clean up of the ports.

It was a beast. Push start only. Even with the cam it still had good low end grunt but could pull 8300 rpm in 5th and was a blast to ride. With a 36 tooth rear it would loft the front end going from first to second.

The take away from all this is both engines were reliable and a noticeable improvement over stock.

thanks for sharing all that info. I’m sure I’m not the only one who finds it helpful.

damm , wouldnt mind buying a kit but being in aust looks like we miss out , once they get (if ever) to selling o/seas will be intresting to see if they have any left at that price.. AND/OR.. deduct the cost of internal shipping from our shipping costs as mikes etc do not (ie .. the free shipping inside the us)

damm , wouldnt mind buying a kit but being in aust looks like we miss out , once they get (if ever) to selling o/seas will be intresting to see if they have any left at that price.. AND/OR.. deduct the cost of internal shipping from our shipping costs as mikes etc do not (ie .. the free shipping inside the us)

Don't hold your breath........

Mine originally said Florida too. When I changed the FL to KS the sales tax went away.
When I filled out the order page, it came up Fla. Clicked the change button and changed it to Mo before it went to paypal... Paypal said Mo.... then the confirmation says Fla. And yeah.... got charged the Fla tax. Hopefully Joe will refund that. :doh:
Pretty glitchy website when it defaults to Fla no matter what you type in... especially when it get the zip code correct.

Back