bike history report

remmy1101

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to check the history report on my most recent xs650 VIN#JYA4N9009BA005083 most sites say that its a invalid number so i dont want to make a account with cyclechex just to find out i cant look it up.
has anyone used cyclechex before? it looks like you have to make a account and pay before looking up vins

Seems useless, no one reports MC accidents, or repairs at least not to back when XS's were built. And not many, even now. If you have good paper and it passes knowledgeable inspection or is priced accordingly buy it.

First thing is to clear up that VIN # you're listing.... that's way too many numbers.
Check the tag on the steering column neck and front side of the engine my guess is that you've got a 1980 - 83 Special II. The model code was 4N9 and the serial numbers ran from 000101 to 030101. My further guess would be that your VIN # is 4N9 005083.

Let us know what you find OK? Best, Blue

Why would that be too many numbers?
I had problem with my insurance claiming my vin's were incorrect on the 4 I insure.
Simply because those vin's weren't in their available data base.
It required pics for proof to clear it up.

Attachments

• 01-07-09_1805.jpg
    01-07-09_1805.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 87
Weekendrider.....My position is purely a pragmatic one....I have just found that I seem to precipitate a hassle when I give the titling, registration or insurance companies more information than than fits or aids them in identifying the vehicle or in ways that it's not most likely listed in their reference records.

Let's take your photo for example....

of JYA5V4008DA1066660 That which seems to count and identify your bike best in the least amount of numbers are:

5V4 the model code and 106660 the engine & frame VIN # combined
are generally the combination which constitute what is most usually called the "VIN number for XS 650's.

To identify the bike best & easiest & simplest I would then go to the following pdf file

View attachment 25

There note that 5V4 & 106660 identify an XS 650 K Heritage which I would assume describes your bike. best, simplest and completely except for color

So in describing your bike to an authority I would call it for example a:

1983 Yamaha XS 650 K Heritage VIN # 5V4 106660 Simply put this is what I found just works best.

Because "JYA" probably just identifies where it was made by who and "5V4" is a known model code that fits with the series of VIN #'s that span your number on both frame and likely the engine (unless the OEM engine has been replaced).

I honestly don't know what the "oo8DA" describes, but it's a code for something or other outside
that which is usually included in a description of the VIN # in my opinion.

When you see two years listed like 1982 & 83, I've generally found the the first year describes when it was made and the second is most likely to be the model year of when it was most likely sold, title established and first registered but; I've seen that slip more than a bit.

The model code info. pdf link listed btw is the best I've been able to find so far. for what it's worth.

Any or all of this may be wrong but it's been working for me and others on a number of bike purchases both here, in New England and California.....so it's become the way I fly in describing these old beauty's especially across states, authorities and Insurance Co,s. Best, Blue

well I already own the bike its a 81 and theres only one inspection sticker on it from 82 I was just curious how many times its been registered and how many owners. If i'm lucky just once and only one owner =)

I'm not sure what year it started, but they went to a 17 digit vin. before that a vehicle had a 9 digit vin.
Blue is right as far as identifying the bike for parts and specs.
The extra digits in your vins are added just to bring the number up to 17 digits long. What they represent if anything was decided by the manufacturer. Our fine government may have had some input.

Back