bike is charging too HIGH...How come?...

remainincognito

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Disregard last posts. Bike is now charging too high and will hot 17 volts if I let it. What would make it over charge?

Look we gotta know what you got to help. Looking at your OTHER thread for clues I see you have a 75, On a stock wired 75 the black wire should be ground the green wire comes from the regulator output and will vary from what a volt or two up to 12 volts. It sounds like you have the green wire wired to 12 volts so the alternator is putting out full strength, full time, that will quickly fail one or more parts.

Bike is a 75 with simplified chopper wiring. Only running headlight and taillight. From the stator is 3 white to 3 white at regulator.....black at stator to black at regulator....greyish at stator to green at regulator....and brown at regulator to switch.

Since it's charging the alternator is fine problem is regulator. What regulator do you have?

2uqyr6f.j

2mczgc5.jpg

Was told it was for a 75

I would suspect that the regulator has lost its reference voltage. Check that the black ground wire that goes to the reg is not broken, or has a corroded connector.

The reg is running full bore charging.

You have no grommet on your hole through the "oil tank" look there.
I am doubting that is the correct regulator, who said it was right? I can't make out the numbers either what is it off of?

My guess is that is a ground side regulator, it's green wire is just +12 volts, It is regulating ground but on your bike that is grounded at the brushes so it can't do it. you will either have to change brushes like this http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4170 or change the regulator to +12 type. Again I do not KNOW that is the case because I do not KNOW what regulator that is.

remainigcognito,

The PAMCO is rated for operation from 6 to 18 Volts, so don't let the voltage go above that. When testing to find your problem, stop it at 16 volts and dig deeper for the problem.

I will try the nylon screws tomorrow. Pete, I did not let it get past 16 as I shut of before then. Does anyone make a regulator with the rectifier in it?

My wiring is as so: 3 white from stator to 3 white to regulator....black from regulator to black going to stator....green at regulator to greyish going to stator...brown at regulator to switch....and red regulator to switch and to the positive battery.

Somthing wrong here? A friend did the wiring.

Lettle, So it not being the right reg, will just using nylon screws be fine because of it's year or do I have to solder a different brush bracket in as well? Or do I just have to get the mechanical reg instead?

We WANT to help but...........

Quit fluckin around, either tell us what you got, or go away. Again give us the stinkin numbers off the regulator, we will do the damn research and try to find out if it will work and how it needs to be wired. No one here can tell you how to wire up some random regulator to make YOUR bike charge correctly.

Uh you might not guess but my patience gets thin when we are all forced to play detective and you won't give us clues. It took three threads and 10 posts before we found out the regulator doesn't match the bike. Then I asked for the numbers you replied with a pic that I can't read the numbers from. Even if the regulator was good when you started, wiring it wrong MAY have fixed that. Really we wnat to help why are you making us work so hard? Electrical is not hard it just requires ORGANIZED thinking and the correct wiring of working components to function.

Sorry and I appreciate the help that is given. The numbers on the regulator are 174 81960-AO....12V SH233....8.9.5. It is wired as so: 3 white from stator to 3 white to regulator....black from regulator to black going to stator....green at regulator to greyish going to stator...brown at regulator to switch....and red regulator to switch and to the positive battery.

I have a brand new rotor from tcbros cause the one with the bike tested bad. Coil tests good. I am not getting the feeler guage to slap the side cover and I am not getting power at either brush with key in the on position. Bike starts easily but is overcharging.

OK with the numbers I did some research. It APPEARS that the regulator you have is for an XS1100. It is not an XS650 alternator either early or late and it is not a MikesXS regulator. The XS1100 alternator I found pictures of is a permanent magnet alternator. So if both those statements are true that regulator will NOT work on your XS650.
So you are kind of back to square one and there are several options. Use a used OEM type regulator, a mikesXS early type Part #24-2089 $109.00 USD or a Chrysler regulator and radio shack diode. Or you can use a late model XS650 regulator and change the brushes with nylon screws per the thread posted earlier. That is what I think.

Virtually all of these systems hook three white or yellow wires from the alternator to the matching wires on the regulator. It's the other wires that vary model by model.

Back