Headlight safety switch/ XS charge issue

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All. I have a 1981 XS 650 Special that I bought with a charging issue a couple of years ago. Being new to 650's I thought that doing an upgrade(?) to an XS charge would be a better deal. So I spent a pile of money and had a friend help me install it, I didn't realize that it required wiring changes. Which nowhere in the advertising at Mikes do they mention that. Or I would have left it stock. The bike is charging and runs fine but I don't know what wires I need to connect to make the headlight come on after the engine starts. I have been trying to figure it out but it is proving too much for this old man to get. I no longer feel comfortable on larger bikes, so I have to sell this bike because I don't want it to die a slow death in a storage shed. It needs nothing was bought from original owner with only 9300 miles. So can someone help me out so I can get this 650 to a new home. Thanks JohnB

May I suggest plain and simple insert a Switch ON / OFF
And skip the problems

Might be folks on the site that would buy the bike as is. Does it run otherwise? 🏃‍♀️

May I suggest plain and simple insert a Switch ON / OFF
And skip the problems
That would be one way , but I don't know how to do this. What I have learned is they have some type of relay that once the engine starts the old charging system would send voltage to it and it would turn on the light. Now with the XS charge the wiring is different and I don't know where or how to fix it. I could do it if I had instructions, just not sharp enough to figure it out on my own.

Might be folks on the site that would buy the bike as is. Does it run otherwise?
Yes it does. When I got it, it had been sitting for quite a while due to the stator being broke. I got it from the original owner, and it was all stock right down to the tires. I went through everything and it is a nice running bike. I had it on a sidecar for a short time but wasn't sure it was the correct rig, so I removed it this spring. I just need to fix this light issue and put it up for sale. It needs nothing. It is pure stock with a little over 9300 miles on it. Trouble is that the bike is in North Dakota and will have to be in running order for a quicker sale. Other than the headlight issue it needs nothing. I will see tomorrow if my other computer has a pic and I will post it.

Last edited:
So the "key" to the OEM system's stator output that works the headlight circuit is the original yellow output wire that your PMA does not now have. That yellow wire put out ~ 5VAC once the motor started and achieved ~1000rpm. That yellow wire went to the headlight relay and closed a circuit that sent power on the L/B wire to the "RLU", etc (it gets complicated) and then lit the headlight.

So, your mission is to tap one of the existing legs of the PMA (~12-15VAC) and send that current to the yellow input of the OEM Headlight Relay. IDK if it will like the extra VAC of the PMA, but worth a try:shrug:

Attached OEM Schematic
1683163986400.png

Ok here are a couple pics of the bike before I took the sidecar off this spring. I am not interested in selling the sidecar that is why I split the two. I just need to figure out this headlight issue and up for sale it will go.Like I said it needs nothing except the headlight fixed and current tab on the license plate

Attachments

• IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    460.7 KB · Views: 66
So the "key" to the OEM system's stator output that works the headlight circuit is the original yellow output wire that your PMA does not now have. That yellow wire put out ~ 5VAC once the motor started and achieved ~1000rpm. That yellow wire went to the headlight relay and closed a circuit that sent power on the L/B wire to the "RLU", etc (it gets complicated) and then lit the headlight.

So, your mission is to tap one of the existing legs of the PMA (~12-15VAC) and send that current to the yellow input of the OEM Headlight Relay. IDK if it will like the extra VAC of the PMA, but worth a try:shrug:

Attached OEM Schematic
View attachment 242037
Thank you this is what I was looking for. Now I have a better understanding of what needs to be done and I think even this old man can figure it out. JohnB

Well I worked on the bike yesterday and ended up adding a momentary button to the handlebars to turn on the headlight. Seems to work fine now just have to finish quick check and clean it up and take some pics and up for sale it will go, Should make a nice bike for someone. Thanks to all who responded to my post. JohnB

Ok here are a couple pics of the bike before I took the sidecar off this spring. I am not interested in selling the sidecar that is why I split the two. I just need to figure out this headlight issue and up for sale it will go.Like I said it needs nothing except the headlight fixed and current tab on the license plate
Do you still have the subframes to mount the sidecar? I have a sidecar that I am planning to mount up on my 79, and I would love to see some pictures of the setup (or buy the subframes off you!).

Do you still have the subframes to mount the sidecar? I have a sidecar that I am planning to mount up on my 79, and I would love to see some pictures of the setup (or buy the subframes off you!).
Yes I do. They are very sturdy and were made to bolt to existing parts/frame so none of the bike frame is altered. I will see if I can dig them out and post a pic for you.

Yes I do. They are very sturdy and were made to bolt to existing parts/frame so none of the bike frame is altered. I will see if I can dig them out and post a pic for you.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG