bike is charging too HIGH...How come?...

Ok I got a regulator from 81 xs650 and used the nylon screws (thank you PamcoPete) and bike is still not charging or feeler not slapping the case. I do have power to the brushes but have power at both brushes and equal.

My wiring is as so: 3 white from stator to 3 white to regulator....black from regulator to black going to stator....green at regulator to greyish going to stator...brown at regulator to switch....and red regulator to switch and to the positive battery.

Wiring,
Stator----------------reg/rec
3 whites--------------3 whites
green-----------------green
Black-----------------brown----------------power after the key
red-----20 amp fuse--------battery +
black--------ground--- battery -
Use the 3 nylon screws.
When you turn the key on power needs to go to the reg/rec on the brown wire and the brushes on the black wire. The reg/rec needs the voltage on the brown wire to know if the battery needs charging. The brushes needs voltage on the black wire to power the rotor. The green wire from the brushes to the reg/rec is how the reg/rec controls power to flow through the rotor.
I wrote a thread on just how it all works. Titled "Electrical basics, or what happens when you turn the key on"
Leo

Thank you XSLEO. You have two blacks for the stator wiring. One going to brown at reguator and to the switch and the other to ground and neg battery term.

Which black is from the regulator and to where?

Ok Leo, I think I may have it but too late to start and rev. But I have power only to the black brush close to battery voltage. Will update tomorrow.

Thanks to all who have helped! Bike is charging and will be riding tomorrow. Need to bump up my pilot to a 27 from a 25.

Back