Bike just revs when given gas fast

critic

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I just purchased a xs650 about 2 weeks ago and when I purchased it everything seemed fine however I just installed new clubman bars and took the bike for a spin to see how they feel. Everything seemed alright however when I give the bike gas quickly, it just begins to rev but when I give it gas slowly it typically can build up the speed without problem. Could it be the clutch cable getting stuck somewhere? Thanks.

No i havent, im at work ATM but it dawned on me that might be a cause. How would I go about adjusting the clutch cable?

Look in the "tech" section at the clutch thread.
Or it gives it in the manuals.
The quick study lesson is with the perch adjuster all the way in allowing all the slack possible. Then under the silver dollar size cap cover on the left case cover loosen the lock nut turn the ram out till you are sure no pressure is on it. Turn back in till it touchs the push rod then back out 1/4 turn. Tighten lock nut just snug.
Go back to the perch adjustment and tighten till you have 1/8 inch gap between perch and lever.
This is a general description of the procedure, as you become more familiar with your bike you will find "settings" you like.
Myself use an 1/8 turn off the ram and lightly less than an 1/8 gap, like the thickness of a quarter coin instead of a nickel coin. Each bike is slightly different in how they react to adjustments so nothing is set in stone.

Since you are in Dallas run over to Carrolton to Bates Cycles #2 and get yourself a Clymer's manual to learn about the control adjustments, and have a look around the shop over there. The manual will benefit you as long as you own the bike, and Bates has hordes of stuff in stock that people on this site seem to think you can only get at MikesXS. Good folks, competitive pricing, and open on Monday!

Back