Bike loading up?

rainycity

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I took the special out for a quick ride between squalls the other day and when I was on the freeway it seemed to not get enough fuel at about 70 and then when I got off the freeway it seemed to almost load up. It did it before but I thought that it all went away after cleaning the carbs, putting in new plugs, etc but I guess not.
I think maybe the carbs need to be synced or something so I talked with this kid here at work who him and his dad are really into the vintage bikes and he said bring it over my dad knows carbs and stuff better than anybody and I`ll talk to him.
Of course that wont be until the damn rain and wind stops.
But I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what I could try next?
By the way, he`s been looking to pick one up for his dad for quite a while now if anybody knows of one for sale around the Seattle area.

There's an obscure possibility, carb icing.
If it doesn't act up during warmer/drier weather, then that may have been it.

Our ethanol blended fuels have a higher latent heat of vaporization compared to normal gasoline, meaning that the vaporizing fuel will pull much more heat out of the surroundings. If conditions include cold and high humidity (high dew points), then this vaporizing fuel will super-cool the incoming air and produce ice in the carb. Doesn't happen with fuel injection. Common problem with older airplanes, pilots are taught about this, and know when to apply carb heat to combat it...

If you're going to go into the carbs again, pay special attention to the float levels. These bikes are very picky about that setting. You didn't mention what carbs you have. If they have brass floats then it's very common for them to be "bent" or twisted, one float bulb sitting at a different height than the other. You have to measure from both sides on each float to check for this.

Hi rainycity,
OK, to me "loading up" means your bike has too much luggage and your overweight cousin Ida on the pillion.
But from context that don't seem to be what it means to you.
What exactly is the bike's problem?

"What exactly is the bike's problem? "
Kind of hard for me to explain so I took it out again yesterday just to double check so
I opened it up on a short stretch of freeway and it seems to not want to get enough fuel I guess maybe almost like a fouled plug, but then when I get off the freeway it
its like its either getting to much fuel all the sudden or not enough then so I pulled the choke for a couple of seconds and pushed it back in it started running good again.
Plugs are new, (maybe the plug wires?) The bike only has 15000 miles on it.

Back