Bike stumbling off idle & missing under hard(er) acceleration

ThrottleJock

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, newbie here. Been riding/racing various bikes for 20yrs but this is my first foray into bikes as old as I am. I picked up a clean little '76 that was nicely taken care of, and I'm having a ton of fun with it so far.

I do have one issue I'd like advice on where to start -

Bike starts 1st kick piece of cake, settles into a decent idle once warm, rides around nice at low throttle openings, but it occasionally stumbles and dies when taking off from a stop, and when I run it hard it misses a little bit and doesn't pull all that clean. Seems to get worse when it gets hot. Also, it seeps a little fuel thru the carb overflow if I leave the petcocks open when I'm done riding. Not sure if that's a clue.

Previous owner recently changed plugs, wires, points, condenser & battery. He didn't touch the electrical system or carbs.

What do I check/clean/replace first?

THANKS! :thumbsup:

sounds like it's running lean.

is it real hot when your riding? does the exhaust crackle after a good ride?

what colour are the plugs?

check your float levels for the fuel coming out of the carb.

AWww I didn't think about that.

It's been 95 degrees every day here, and it does it worse when the bike's hot. Gonna go check the plugs now!

thanks!

You'll have to learn to get into the habit of shutting your petcocks off. The float needles were meant to meter the fuel flow, not act as an on/off valve for long periods of time. A full tank of gas pushing against them can overpower them.

Yep on the petcock shutoff, that's no biggie and def solves that prob.

Went for another ride today to further diagnose miss, and it stalls & misses less when lights are OFF. Also, it seems to run better if I kick the everloving shit out of it.

I think I'm going to start by replacing all old/corroded cables and giving the carbs a nice soak & cleaning, that'll eliminate some of the variables. Any of you guys use that Seafoam stuff? Bandit/air cooled Suzuki guys (world I come from most recently) seem to swear by it.

Check your timing and points gaps. These bikes like that set dead nuts. It can be a chore on the dual points set-up. Basically, you're setting 2 single cylinder engines and need to match them to one another as well.

I've used sea foam just running it through my gas tank before im not sure if it did much to be honest with you.
Your best beat is to do a full tear down carb clean I always buy gumout carb clean. The name brand stuff really works better.

I had exactly the same problems and thought the carbs were the fault until I put a Hugh's Hand built PMA on it, then bam! Haven't had a misfire since :D best thing I ever purchased to the bike.

Back