Bike Won't Roll Forward

Tacforce650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This almost seems stupid but I replaced the chain on my 650 and now the damn thing won't roll forward in neutral. In reverse its fine. I feel like I left adequate slack in the chain but could it be too tight? Or maybe bound in the case? I can't see that anything is off the sprocket but I'd love to get some ideas of what to look for. Thanks.

Hey, Tacforce650. Sounds like that left cover needs to come off. Saw, long ago, a situation where the chain would try to climb the sprocket, customer had inadvertently mismatched sprocket/chain. I'm sure that's not your case, but there's things in there that come close to the chain, and may be touching and clearing in one direction, but not the other. I'm curious, too. Try to post a pic when the cover is off...

I'll definitely post pics and see what I find. I've talked to a couple of my friends and they seem to think the sprocket may have had the teeth rolled over seeing as the chain that the previous owner had on there was really worn and stretched. Either way the cover has to come off and I'll see what the deal is. Thanks for your input.

I like the stock gearing just fine. But you can go up or down a bit depending on where you ride. Just don't get a bigger sprocket because your new chain won't be long enough!

Back