Bike's gone throghtghugh 3 rotors

jb57

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy, so I've got a bone stock 1981 special ii. The original rotor was shot when I bought it. I swapped in a salvage rotor off an 83 and it was in spec resistance when I got it. And less than a hundred miles later I tested it was also in spec resistance, about 5.3-5.4 ohms, it died after another 90 miles or so. Is there something in my electrical system that is eating my rotors or is it the fact that they were original rotors that were bound to go bad anytime. I'm probably going to get a rebuilt from mikesxs just to tide me over until it can be sold. Any ideas?

Was the insulation black and cracked? I've gone through 3 rotors and it is begining to dawn on me replacing with rotors the same age isn't a good investment.
The last spare I had looked VERY different than the crap ones. The epoxy was a clearish amber and coiled wires yellow.

Attachments

• good rotor - bad rotor.jpg
    good rotor - bad rotor.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 109
The original's insulation is kind of black, I don't know about the other two. I took the second one back and got it exchanged for the third, so the salvage place has the second. The third one is still on the bike, an hour's drive away that I won't get to for quite a while.

Its just not a good idea to replace a 30 year old failed rotor, with another 30 year old rotor. Electrical items have a life. If they are exposed to a hostile invironment that has heat and vibration, that life is shortend. Its only because the OEM quality was very high, that the electrical components have lasted this long.

The rotor on my bike is 33 years old, and I believe its the original rotor. Will it fail...........of course it will..............I just don't know when. I provide for extra cooling for my alternator by spacing the alternator cover away from the engine case.

My understanding is that the rotors from Mikesxs are of low quality. The run-out on the slip rings is poor.

If you want a high quality rotor, www.customrewind.com is the one to use. I've only ever heard good comments about their products.

You don't say where you live. On old vehicles I have found location makes a big difference as to what parts have survived and what are failed or getting ready to fail.
Here in the upper Midwest rubber parts and electrical tend to hold up very well. Chrome is nearly always toast. Desert southwest the chrome if not sandblasted is good and the rubber crumbles to dust:shrug: No expert on this but the rotor wire insulation is some kind of varnish and it gets brittle and breaks down over time. I haven't failed one in use yet. I also wonder if running bikes with other failed electric components causes cascade failure. I have seen apparent correlation of running bikes with failed batteries taking out the alternator as it overheats trying to charge a battery that won't???

I used custom rewind. Great product and customer service. Definitely skip mikesxs over....

Posted via Mobile

Why not just put a Sparx magnetic alternator on the thing? You get a new rotor and a new stator and ya never have to worry about them stinkin' brushes again.

Back