Bitty Budget Young Hardtail Tracker

I been in that same bone yard myself. Looks like some of that stuff would last longer if they could get some of it in out of the brutal Arizona sun. Things are stacked up so high and scattered all over hell. I don't know how they find anything in there.
jefft

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
DAMN dude what's the story on the XS hot rod engine?

Cool project. I'll be watchin this one.

I been in that same bone yard myself. Looks like some of that stuff would last longer if they could get some of it in out of the brutal Arizona sun. Things are stacked up so high and scattered all over hell. I don't know how they find anything in there.
jefft

Posted via Mobile

Haha dude Jeff, you already know... Max amount of time in yard? 15 - 20 mins... Hopefully you're wearing no black clothes..

DAMN dude what's the story on the XS hot rod engine?

Cool project. I'll be watchin this one.

That one in the yard right? I have no clue dude, looks beefy. I wonder what its internals are like. Flatslides and Oil Cooling lines, maybe NOS? ha! I wouldn't mind strapping it into a roller.

----

But Bob's has a few hit or misses. There prices can be either decent, or horrible. I don't see how a 'junk'-yard can ask so much for some items.. But then again you can find steals and deals like that seat pan in page 1.

Last edited:
Here where I'm at today.

Getting Close to finishing up the engine.
Almost have a fucking major meltdown when I dropped the Chain Tensioner Plunger and All its friends in the bottom case. "We're going to a party..." they told me.. Luckily Yamaha makes a mean engine, they fell straight too the Oil-Sump Cover, as opposed to falling over the crank assembly. Nice little channel leading down to the sump cover right behind the Cranks.

Used some spare Tappet Springs to squish those lot together.
Cam was off a tooth on the first go.. I yelled at that and got over it. Got her back in.
But yeah, my install was with an ENDLESS chain, so, positioning the Cam in from the left side is pretty much the only way you'll get the bastard in.. Right side has a bigger lip that catches onto the case, not allowing the cam to drop in place. Seems impossible when dinkering with it, but it come together eventually.

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3315-1.jpg

Cleaned a few more tabs off of the frame and took a few pics of the Gussets for you fellas.. I'm not installing the top bar gussets until of got the Solo-Seat position sorted out.

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

Wheels are next, Hop back and forth from Rear and Front setup, get the frame rolling. Starting with the rear, as Matt would say.. The aluminum Rims are much lighter than my stock steel rims.. I'm really amped on em.

Time to go ride the Honda. :bike:

Last edited:
Looking good man! When are you bringing it back over for more work?

Haha! There he is...

At this juncture the Engine is about done, need a replace the clutch spring screws before I button up the right side. Left side is ready to go.

Ordered a Drive Chain today, to help mock things up in the rear.

What do you guys think about mounts for the solo seat? For the spring i was thinking about getting these tapped bungs with a 1 1/8" cope to em and glue those on istead of the premade weld-on spring posts. I don't like the fact that you don't screw into them but use a pin to hold the spring down.. Seems like it'll be noisey.. If I go the tapped bung route it'll keep that ass-end of the seat nice and snug in place.

I may hold of working on the wheels till I get her rolling, then I'll pluck em off and clean em up? not sure yet... Working around the budget here. May wait until I get a sprocket for the rear, gonna drop it down a tooth and try the 33, maybe even a 32. We'll see... Im not taking her to Cali. just yet, so, maybe gearing for the 'city hopper' as opposed to 'state hopper' for now..

I'm keeping the stock charging system as of now.. I have all the components for the PMA swap EXCEPT the Banshee Rotor, just waiting on a cheap one. PAMCO will be coming soon as-well, not sure if I'm going to try and save some bucks sourcing an Andrews / Harley Sportster Dual Coil.

I guess what's next is to get the engine in the frame.. I might just clean the wheels up first.. atleast the rear, now that I think about it lol.. Id rather have wheels on the bastard before I store the engine in the frame..

I've been tossing around the idea of gluing two outlets on the tank for a little fuel guage.. It's a 2 Gallon Wassel.. Dont want it going dry in Blythe, Arizona.. :oops:

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

Steel Wool can go a long way. DW40 seems to dull my finishes at times though, but i think that's because of the dirt still on the metal. On the cleanest surfaces, fine Steel Wool has given me the dull shine I want, so far... and more Tips on cheap polishing?

Oh - Found what the PO's oil pump filter looked like. These things work pretty damn good because there weren't a whole lot of large filings in the lower case when i first split it.

IMG_3320.jpg

Matthew, Im waiting for a few things to come in, I'll be over in about 1 - 2 weeks, knowing how slow parts dealers are... fucking WORST part of building... waiting. :shrug:

More to come!

Welp, this is where I'm at now. Mock up. A wholeeee lot of it.
Just ordered a Pamco and Andrews Harley Coil.

Tried to smoothen out the frame a bit around the cold welds, get a little cleaner look.

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

Seat will sit about 2 - 3 inches further back. Fender will be cut a bit, the end towards the frame side, where it is on the tire is right about where I want it.

I might ditch the tracker/euro styled bars for some Clip-Ons. Gonna ditch the fork Lowering Kit from Hugh and get some Stiffer progressive springs. I'll use the excess Fork Tube above the triple to clamp the Clip-Ons too...

And because the Wassel sits so dam low, I can really play with the clipon Angle and its positioning.. Gonna tuck em in, make the overall bike and narrow as possible.

Fucking straight swordfish... :D
Yeah.. Hard, Low and Stocky..

IMG_3348.jpg

I love the pillion pad, cheap as tits off eBay..

Going to go the the metal shop in a few days and get some thick rod for a set of fender struts.
Thinking of a way I would change out the struts for a sissy bar and back to 'sportier' struts when i please. Sissy for some long trips.. What size rod you think would be stiff enough, perhaps to even throw a chick on the end of that pillion? 5/16"?

:)

Where in the motor does this mount?
IMG_3168.jpg

That fits on the top part of the bottom cases. When you take the cylinders off that is what you'll see along with the rods and Cylinder studs.

Pistons2.jpg

That's in right there in the middle, it held down by 4 Philips screws.
You can see em'.

Here's a quikie. I'll be starting the bastard soon here... Still just figuring out the order in which to spend my budget on..

Need: Clip Ons, Coil, UNI Filters AND Velocity Stacks, Mini Tach and Ignition Switch (Wanna play with both, I know the UNI's will yeild a better MPG rating).. mmmm and basically mounting bits for Fender/Seat/Pegs and Brake. I know there a small bits I'm forgetting.. Headlight/Tailight.. yaddeeyah.

Here we are thus far, threw the engine in tonight. Haven't done much heavy cutting since i get the frame together and cleaned up.

Took a chunk out of the Front Motor-Mount, clean it up a bit.. Might help overall air flow? haha! maybe 1 degree...

IMG_0008.jpg

Coming together nice though.. Much of the components are just mock'd up for now.
Im pretty sure I wont decide what bars I'll run, so, Like the UNI's/Velo. Stacks. - I'll probably get Clip-Ons AND Tracker bars.. See how both of them do.

If i run tracker bars, I'll end up gettin one of Hugh's Fork lowering Kits.. 3" Drop.

IMG_0027.jpg

Cleaned my carbs up aswell, the rest of the bke will look... not Old or neglected, but USED.. The engine components are going to look as spit shine as I can get em'. .

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Got a little carried away by the camera...
I get Artsy when the 50/1.2f get's put on.
School sucks... I'll probably make a video of the startup.
:bike:

Last edited:
is it going to be painted? cause it looks pretty bad ass already in that raw state.

Thanks man!. I just came up with this answer about 30 minutes ago.. I decided I'm going to call the bike "Black Belly". In short, everything that the eye can see that's "frame", I'm going to strip to raw and leave the stuff the eye can see black.. Which really isn't much,but in my head.. The Bottom backbone/bottom rails will probably remain black. Possibly the Triple Tree as well.

It sounds choppy but.. I think I can make it turn out okay.

I actually don't think im going to let the frame rust either.. I'd try to keep it like it is now. With the few harder to reach parts being black, it'll leave the 'exposed' stuff much easier to manage. Coming from my little Honda 360, this XS650 frame is much more minimal. And substantially lighter; despite how much I shaved off that little bastard.

Back