BLANK SPOT between 35 -40 could it be CARBS or PLUGS?

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers

Weeks of running absolutely smoothly, then a 75 mile ride. Accelerating 35-45 a sudden blank spot as if someone had switched the power off for a second. Bike continued back to smooth. It happened on the ride three or four times in the first say 20 minutes of the ride.

What could it be?

The first thing I like to do is ask: 'What have you done/adjusted/messed with before the blank spot appeared. the answer is I checked the plug gaps, cleaned and narrowed slightly on both plugs to more 6mm. Haynes says between 6-7mm, so I can't see the problem. By the way, the plugs are a pleasing lightish brown.

As far the carbs I recently stepped up the jets by one step each. Ran smoothly for 200 miles after that.

Any suggestions, fellers?

ANLAF

Fellers,
I found out what this problem was - dying battery. Acid level right down in four cells. Battery new 1000 miles ago.

ANLAF
what size battery? if it's boiling out the water sounds like it may be over charging...
possible causes reg/rec or to small of battery

Get rid of that mechanical regulator if you havent yet. I noticed with the new solidstate my battery almost never needs any distilled water added.

Posted via Mobile

I think he has a PMA, it says so in his signature. But it may be the regulator, check your voltage it could be a bit high.
Leo

Thanks fellers,

The battery is standard bike size, I will check the reg/rectifier. XSLeo is right CNDT, PMA and elec ignition so no mechanical bits on the charging circuit. S out comes the multimeter.

Reg?Rectifier test, diodes working fine (reading of 6.50 one way, nothing the other - that will do nicely.
At rest the battery was ww.60 - oh! dear. Should be 12.4 to 12.7ish at rest, so either I have a drain or the battery is shot at. It was new 1000 miles ago, but something could have destroyed it.

when running the battery charge reading was 9.80 - what! what happened to 13.6 to 13.8 volts?

Something is wrong.

I have a trickle charger bolted to the battery connections. The wires route iunder the tank to a rubber-covered connector - I noticed green deposits on the connections, so to eliminate this I have removed the trickle charger.

when I was checking the reg/rectifier connections I noticed similar green discolouring on the blade connectors. I cleaned the blades (but not the female ends (yet).

By the way, I bought a new multimeter today, so I can eliminate equipment failure.

Any ideas, fellers?

ANLAF

Back