Blow by Hose removed airbox

xs650special

James
Reaction score
I'm working on my bike, getting the cylinder head off and I noticed that with the airbox off the hose that comes off the back of the top of the motor isn't going anywhere but spraying a little oil blow by on the front of the battery box. I was wondering if there is a part out there that would fix this since it seems almost everyone takes off the airbox.

There's all kinds of ways to "deal with" that.... everything from a beer can to catch the drips, to a small K&N-type air filter... there is usually some positive pressure, so more is "coming out" than getting sucked in... an appropriate fix would be to somehow catch the air/oil mix. It can be done with a short hose leading to a small can.... in the original configuration, that "blow by" was being sucked back into the intakes.

:)

Yes, on the bikes that had the breather tube going into the air boxes it was sucked back into and burned in the engine.
That came late in the production run. The first few years the breather had two hioses and one went to a hole in the left side engine cover and any oil blow by was directed to drip on the chain. They found this venting produced too much blow by with the 3000 cc oil capacity. They dropped the oil level to 2500 cc's and plugged one of the breather outlets and just ran one hose.
They also put a restricter plug in the one line. They then went to a smaller breather box with one hose.
They eventually routed this hose to the air boxes.
No when removing the stock air box there are several things to do with the hose. I chose to use a power brake chack valve. at most parts stores there is a HELP! section on the display racks. On there somewhere you will find a Part number 80190 Poweer Brake Chreck valve. Don't try a positive crank case valve for a car, it won't work.
Now this check valve has a large end where it plugs into the power brake booster on the car. It's just the right size to plug into the breather hose. Now at this point you can either cut the hoes just long enough to plug the valve in and run a hose from the 3/8 fitting on the valve to below, behind and to one side of the engine. This lets any oil drip on the road without getting on the rear tire. Or in the hole in the left cover, If you have a hole. They deleted it when they went to the breather to air box air hose.
Or long enough so it hangs just above your new air cleaner. This lets any oil to drip on the air filter and be sucked into the engine.
The brake check valve does a couple things. It is a one way valve that lets any pressure in the crank case to get out. It also prevents any air from flowing back in.
This creates a vacumm inside the engine. This vacumm can help prevent small oil leaks. It can also help the rings seal better.
Leo

One more thing, if you are getting a lot of blow by it could be you are trying to run the oil level to high. The marks on the dip stick are minimum and maxium amounts, It's best to keep the oil level art half weay between the markds. If you try to keep it at the maximum level it will blow off the extra.
Leo

They interchange with no problem.
My 75 came with a two hose breather and now has a one hole breather on it.
Leo

Back