blowing 20A fuses

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
I finally got the wiring completed (although it's not correct) as the Chrysler regulator isn't grounded yet, but I think everything else is done. Since I'm running a single, dual output coil with the stock points, here is how I wired it:

I soldered the two point wires together and connected that to a single condenser wire, as well as the black coil wire. I think this is the right way to do this. Can anyone confirm for me?

Then, I have the big blue coil wire connected through a 10A fuse to the ignition switch (car style). I will be putting in a kill switch, I just don't have one yet.

BUT.... I keep blowing 20 A fuses. :shrug: Not sure why???

I can attach pics tomorrow, but I'm without camera right now. Can anyone help?

Sean

Disconnect parts of the circuit and see if the fuse does not blow. I would suggest you disconnect one set of points, then disconnect the other set. If the fuse still blows then disconnect the ignition coil. Disconnecting the condenser might be a good check as well.

You have a short to ground, so you just have to eliminate sections of the load.

Hopefully you don't have too many things soldered together. Its always better to have things such as points and condensers connected with bullet connectors, so that trouble shooting can be done.

Back