Blown head gasket? Maybe I have bike hypochondria?

Yes. It was worse on the inside of the carbs than the outsides. It probably kept getting into the filters but It wouldn't die but the idle did change. What else could I possibly change in the carbs? Floats are good and Diaphragm has no holes...

Posted via Mobile

They are shot then if the idle is changing. I have pods, you would have SOAK pods with direct spray... if you were spraying it where i showed you, then they are done. Look for posts on Throttle shaft seals and change them....they are a giant air leak if they are right toast.

The other day the idle would change with barely spraying the pods. I'll order that stuff tonight. I hope this has been the problem but I'm doubting it's that simple. I'm going to have to resync the carbs won't I? What's the Easiest way to do the seals?

Posted via Mobile

well if your doubting it then sheild the pods and try it or put the straw on and do it again...up close with the straw wont hit the pods enough.....i guarantee they are shot, sometimes carbs are so worn the carb bodies oval where the shafts rotate and then they are junk. Like i said, i could stall mine out with contact cleaner on the seals....thats a problem...well was. search. They are easy to do with a good screw driver, but it requires almost complete carb dissasembly.

I even covered them with a rag. I hope this is it. How lean would it make the bike run? I gotta take them apart again? Oh well...

Posted via Mobile

Carbs right? I don't know anyone out here. One guy has an xs but he's busy with other stuff. And I doubt he would.

Barely any up and down, if any...

Posted via Mobile

Blow it up! jeez. another $20 to mikes and 0 problems solved. we'll see. thanks for the help. should get them sat or monday...

Carbs are apart in my lap, don't know how to get those seals out.
While they're apart What else should I check?

Posted via Mobile

The shafts have to come out, which means the butterflys have to come out, which means you have to be VERY careful getting those screws out. There's a thread or 4 on it I'll try to find a good one.

Wow. Looks like I'll be buying new butterfly screws. These Phillips head screws strip way easy. The seals don't seem bad now that the carbs are separated. If the butterflys are open should there be play in the shaft? There's none unless theyre open...

Posted via Mobile

Jawknee,

I've been fighting a hanging idle since I bought the bike and I've gotten mega frustrated time and time again. Right now my bike is in pieces but I'm sure it'll still be waiting for me when I get it back together. It will be resolved, don't set the bike on fire! :D

I've narrowed mine down to the butteryfly shaft seals in theory since the bikes been apart so I guess I'll find out when I get it back together. Let yourself cool down, don't get frustrated and do more bad than good.

~ Derek

Haha. Thanks. I'm soooo close to selling it. But I really don't want to. So much work, and I have leaned a lot from this bike. I'm gonna try to be patient and find out what it is.
I pulled them both apart and they don't seem bad but they are a little dry. I'll do them anyway. Pretty much the only
Thing not replaced yet. Can't figure out what else. Anything to do with the choke? I don't want to have to wait for more parts after this but I'm out of ideas anyway...

Posted via Mobile

The seals should be very soft and flexible. You'll see when you get the new ones. They work on vacuum so once they start to harden up, they don't seal any more.

Grrrrreat! haha. Just finished my order. Thanks. Maybe Saturday probably monday. Im excited again. i always think my next mikes order is going to fix it but it doesnt happen. maybe this time. at least my new petcock works perfectly. no more balancing act and kinking hoses to take the carbs off. i can get those carbs in and out in about 10 seconds now. Practice makes perfect. GOOOOOODNIGHT...

Those shaft seals make a huge difference. Same as new o-rings in the mix screw. It doesn't take much of an air leak to cause great headaches.
As for selling the bike, don't. You'll have the immense satisfaction of knowing that YOU did the work and now know how to fix it.
If you want a reliable, painless bike, then go buy a new one. That's what most "bikers" do anyway.

I already have another bike so I dont know what I'm whining about. And I definitely am proud of this one. Especially when I realize that some guys around my age are still making payments on efi Harleys with bolt on parts. I know I would regret selling it. Why would I do all this work just for someone else anyway? I may not have built my bike but I can take it apart and put it back together. And I have yet to take it to a shop...

Posted via Mobile

Back