Blown head gasket? Maybe I have bike hypochondria?

Nevermind i wont buy some. Rebuilt sets are $250 and theres a POS set for $80 plus $15 for shipping and it looks like they were buried...

they're brand new too. when i got the bike it had a pamco and no advance. haha. i didnt realize i needed it until like 6 months later. i have even replaced the board in my pamco. i have a 47.5 pilot already. i was hoping to not have to use it. but oh well. i know something is not right cause i am lucky to get 30mpg. i need a new drawing board, im out of space...

OK, yea, the baffles are a definate plus. You got to have some back pressure for proper flow. There is a sticky here all about reversion and such, so.Next is plug reading's, are they showing lean? Also, do the slides on the diaphrams close at the same speed? And are they not binding or hanging up in the carbs? With you getting only 30 MPG, there is definately something out of wack. Is your advance unit snapping back like it should? The advance rod binding in the camshaft? Yes, the first area to look at with a slow idle return is carbs, but there could be a timing issue, too. Cam chains don't jump on these engines too often, but worth a look. Easiest way is to set the rotor (in the left side case) to TDC, and look where your Pamco is at. Straight up like it should be, or off to the front or rear a little. Sometimes trouble shooting is a real PITA, but when you eventually find the problem, and you will, all this work will be worth it. Think of all the experience you got allready on the carb function.
On a side note, it won't hurt to cleanup the advance unit and lube it, common for them to hang up, even when brand new. I am glad I got a TCI on mine, no advance unit to keep clean and lubed.

Ok. I'll try that. I actually pulled the advance rod and regreased it. I'm taking the carbs apart now and gonna clean passages and bigger pilots. Plugs are still bright white. I'm going to check the float height again but I've checked them 4 times already. Slides come back same speed also. The guy that lives by me that has an xs has the tci. He didnt have to rejet for open pipes and pods. Stock jetting? Weird...

Posted via Mobile

Like I said, no two bikes are the same. Try the 47.5 pilots and keep messing with the mix screw/check plugs. My completely stock '82 with pods runs a 47.5 and is 3 turns out to get a nice colored plug. That's stock exhaust too.
My '81 with pods, open exhaust ran 45 pilots 145 mains and screamed down the road. 3 turns out on the mix as well.
I was also able to put Harley bologna cut mufflers on it to pass inspection and it ran fine without changing anything.
You have to work to find what makes them run well. There is no set recipe for them.

Its Still doing it. i am 2 up on pilots 3 turns out. finally getting some color on the plugs but the idle still hangs around 3. its doing it more often now. probably because its like 75 degrees out today. it only does it when its warm. i need more patience...

Its about to be in MY head! This bike is a constant letdown. I can't make this any better. Disappointing...

Posted via Mobile

what carb boots? The air barbs in mine let go from the boots on my old stock ones and were sucking air around them, you could pull them right our of the boots.

I can check those but i doubt its that. the idle will go up and then it comes back on its own. i cant make it come back down. Maybe ill try new ones. ill check them first...

pull off the right side cam cover, the hole in the cam should be at 12 or 6 oclock when the mark on your rotor is at the T mark. This should be easy for you to see as your bike is TCI and you do not need to remove the advancer.

Is it possible that someone could've advanced the cam to make up for not putting the advance mech in after they did then pamco?

Posted via Mobile

judging by that info who fuckijng knows what the stupid p.o did,. but yes, the locating pin for the advance should be at 6 or 12 then when your on the T mark.

Back