Blown head gasket? Maybe I have bike hypochondria?

So i just got my seals from mikes. Gonna put them in while the game is on haha. is there anything i should do to them or put on them before i put them in? Which way do they go in? Solid side in?

I put them in dry. Try not to get carb cleaner or stuff like that on them. That is why they fail too. Cleaners destroy the rubber parts. Put them in solid side inward. So the groove is visible. Get it?

yes sir!
theres a protector sort of thing on the outside of these right? Those dont need to be replaced too?
Then Blue loctite on the butterfly shaft screws and thats it?

It's slow to come back down. It was staying at 3k too just before that. I'm back to 1 up on the pilot and 2 on the mains...

Posted via Mobile

that last rev in the video i let go as soon as it got to 3k. it stays on its own. the throttle cable has plenty of space and i even moved it around when it was stuck and it didnt change. the only way i can bring it down while its stuck is by turning the idle down...

Have you checked the diaphragm's for leaks? Any cracks in the intake boots? The diaphragm check is fairly easy, esp. if the carbs are off the engine. In the throat, where you put the filter's, are some passages. On the top is an oval shaped hole. That is the port to the diaphragm. Lift the diaphragm all the way up (open), place your thumb over the oval hole sealing it as best you can, then let go of the diaphragm. If it falls down rapidly, the diaphragm is no good. They should drop slowly. As it's been said, the pilot circuit is very small, and easily plugged, even with a good cleaning. It can some work to get the crap out of the circuit. Very often overlooked, or just not cleaned out thoroughly.

Diaphragms are good. And the pilots are new. I can't figure it out. Any other ideas? Could it be the motor?

Posted via Mobile

Probably not, hanging idle speed is always a lean carb problem. Your not using oil, or have some loud noise in the engine, do you? Did not think so, 'cause you haven't mentioned it at all. Yes, I read that, but I am refering to the passages the pilot jets fit into. Those are very small, and the smallest amount of crap will make them lean. Use a strand of 16 gauge wire to help clean the passage's.

I could go up another on the pilot. But that would be 2 up and SHOULD be way rich. This isn't fun. I'll try cleaning the passages...

Posted via Mobile

Good luck. Persistance does payoff, in the long run.You stated pod filter's, wfat are you using for exhaust? If you got open pipe's, at best you'll be lucky to get rid of the high idle. I did not hear the video, cause no speaker's right now.

Drag pipes but I have baffles too. There's no bottom end with completely open pipes. I don't mind higher than normal idle but when the idle stays up at 3k it makes engine braking worse. I did open my baffles a little. (bending back some of the tabs) should I bend some closed again? It should help it be richer. Right?

Posted via Mobile

I have an '82 with stock everything, other than the pod filters and run 47.5 pilots. The 45's are too lean for some reason.
No two bikes are the same. My '81 with drag pipes and pods only ran 45 pilots.

I'll try cleaning passages again but I have cleaned these carbs like 786 times. I wish I had a different set to borrow. Maybe I'll buy some. Is it the carbs that are different or the bike making the carbs different? This bike ran good with the stock exhaust and even that was jetted a little higher than normal. 140 main but still stock pilot. I have changed just about everything electrical. Could the cam chain be off? I checked tension. It was fine like 200 miles ago...

Posted via Mobile

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the carbs.
You can always buy a set of 47.5 pilots and see what happens.
I watched your video and my bike does the same thing when it's cold out. It is what it is.
Once you start changing things from stock, you will always have tuning problems.
Also check to make sure your advance weights are ok since you have a Pamco. They could very well be sticking a little.

Back