bluddy toolbars !

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I usually surf on my 10" netbook in the evenings whilst watching tv.

This is what I see on my screen ! nothing but bloody toolbars. I count 13 information and toolbars and not a single line of the actual page . I have to actually scroll the page up to read the first line of any thread !:wtf:

This is madness. I even find myself scrolling my 17" laptop to read my emails.

Its mostly just unwanted junk that I'd rather stayed hidden but on every line there seems at least one thing you need ,making it difficult to remove the line.

Am I the only one that finds this bloated firefox and windows cr*p annoying ?

Attachments

• taskbars.jpg
    taskbars.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
hey peanut pushing the F11 it key gets rid of tool bar, hit F11 key again toolbar comes back.
at least that's the way mine works here.
"on many you have to hold down the shift key then hit F11 key"
then you get this
full

thanks carbon but I've still got a total of 10x toolbars above the 'post reply' button ?
When I try the shift F11 it just makes my page jump and scroll down a bit ...

I have to say at least half of the unnecessary toolbar lines are on the forum .:wink2:#

Why do we need the line
The Lounge Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion (Topics that are in no way related to motorcycles, tools, or gear)?

i know I'm in the lounge ....I selected the Lounge so I know I'm there. lol

Why do we need 3x 'Search ' lines ?

There is a Google Search box on my browser navigation line (Firefox)
Then beneath that on the forum page there is another line with a second Google search box together with a forum search
Then there is yet another line beneath that with a further forum search button ???:confused:
Why do we need so many ?

FWIW, Google Chrome seems to be toolbar resistant. I've found on most toolbars you can right click on the bar itself, a dialog box will open and in there is an Options box, one option is to hide the toolbar. The program will freak if you say 'yes', but will eventually let you hide it. The deal with that: the toolbar program generates revenue for the supplier of the program if you use it to search for something. Since it will cut into their money they make it sound like hiding/deleting the toolbar will lead to the end of civilization as we know it.

You can go to control panel and uninstall whatever you don't want on there unless it's written to not allow you remove it.

The easiest way to just abandon Windows and all that crap is by installing Ubuntu Linux. Then you will face a learning curve of getting things on, vs getting things off in Windows :) Ubuntu is virus resistant instead of being a virus magnet. And it's free.

yes but none of the software I use is compatible with ubuntu unfortunately otherwise I'd use it.
I'd probably use Apple first to be honest and have dual boot.

where do you find the option to remove xs650.com toolbars in the control panel then ???

^Should be called add/remove programs or similar in the panel depending on windows version. Also msconfig in the run box will let you decide what loads on startup. Or remove or disable plugins in the browser itself.

There are equivalent replacement programs windows programs for ubuntu. Firefox instead of Explorer for example. It comes with an equivalent of Office. The standard image processing is a program named Gimp, which is free. Lots of old mature unix programs for it like Emacs editor, which is over the top, but still. Theres a Windows environment that will run in ubuntu, called Wine, but I haven't used it myself.

thanks carbon but I've still got a total of 10x toolbars above the 'post reply' button ?
When I try the shift F11 it just makes my page jump and scroll down a bit ...

I have to say at least half of the unnecessary toolbar lines are on the forum .:wink2:#

I wouldn't say they are unnecessary. Just scroll down. You need to constantly scroll to read a thread anyway. Or when going to thread from the Lounge, click the little button next to the thread title that looks like this
firstnew.gif
. That will take you to your first unread post.

Why do we need the line
The Lounge Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion (Topics that are in no way related to motorcycles, tools, or gear)?

i know I'm in the lounge ....I selected the Lounge so I know I'm there. lol

Well that isn't really necessary, but it's there because not everyone gets to a thread from the Lounge. A lot of traffic comes directly to the page through search engines.

Why do we need 3x 'Search ' lines ?

There is a Google Search box on my browser navigation line (Firefox)
Then beneath that on the forum page there is another line with a second Google search box together with a forum search
Then there is yet another line beneath that with a further forum search button ???:confused:
Why do we need so many ?

They do different things. The google search in your browser works just like google.com. The Google search in the forum header searches XS650.com and 650rider.com only. Try it sometime. The forum search in the header uses the forum software to search all forums in the site and gives dramatically different results than google. The Search button in the menu bar below that does the same thing, but it's not taking up any extra space since the menu bar is there anyway. The other button that says 'Search this Thread' searches the thread only.

It sounds like you need just need bigger screen :wink2:

It sounds like you need just need bigger screen :wink2:

oops touched a raw nerve there :wink2:

Don't worry travis my comments were tongue-in-cheek ,I wasn't specifically critisising the forum web design its a problem across the net as website designers try to cram in every conceivable button link and gizmo they can, whilst laptop designers make screens increasingly widescreen format for movies .

I think any sensible person would surely agree with me that when there is absolutely nothing whatsoever of the content of a particular forum webpage showing on a 17" 1600x900 res laptop screen due to the burgening toolbars above there has to be something a little screwy.:D

Now where is that VGA lead for my 42" tv monitor ? its around here someplace......:laugh:

Pity the kids with their first (broken) motorcycle looking for how to videos on their phone.....

Hey Trav make it better, use frames so the tool bars stay no matter what you do. :yikes:

peanut, You can always do what I do laptop using 19 pin vga to 100" screen damn I can everything on that.

I'd love to do that buddy but the missus won't let me anywhere near the tv lol
flippin soaps !

100" screen :eek::yikes: thats not a tv thats a cinema screen ...you got popcorn ?:D

I've decided I cannot put up with a laptop any more ...I hate the damn things.
I'm going back to a Shuttle XPC with 26" monitor yeahhh:thumbsup:

Pity the kids with their first (broken) motorcycle looking for how to videos on their phone.....

Hey Trav make it better, use frames so the tool bars stay no matter what you do. :yikes:

now don't you go stirring things up Gary :D

Anyway I thought you'd be much too busy videoing the next run of the beast :laugh::thumbsup:

I'd love to do that buddy but the missus won't let me anywhere near the tv lol
flippin soaps !

100" screen :eek::yikes: thats not a tv thats a cinema screen ...you got popcorn ?:D

I've decided I cannot put up with a laptop any more ...I hate the damn things.
I'm going back to a Shuttle XPC with 26" monitor yeahhh:thumbsup:

I know what You mean about leaving the missus tele alone:wink2:
The 100" is out here in the shop with me :laugh:
Why yes I do have popcorn :)
Hey that 26" monitor will do the trick :thumbsup:

"madness" is a looong :banghead: story at this point, If I ever get it right, I'll diary the details.
I just listened to a IAC cam guide video which is making me think....

I thought I ought to bring this tale of woe to a happy conclusion.

After 3x long years of persevering with a 17" laptop screen I finally went back to my beloved Shuttle XPC today with proper lcd screen.!

I had forgotten how excellent the colour and contrast rendition is on a monitor even though this monitor has a slightly lower resolution.

I have acres more real estate and I'm lovin the speed of this thing pages load so fast its almost too fast to see.

happy days

Attachments

• laptop shuttle compare.JPG
    laptop shuttle compare.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 92
Waitaminit peanut! I use a tablet, rotated, auto-fits into the vertical orientation.

But, I have to wear my 4x optivisors to read it...

Attachments

• TabletScreen.jpg
    TabletScreen.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 69
do you know I never thought of that ! :doh: I'll have to trade my netbook for a tablet . I love touchscreens

Mind you I am a budding togger and I have really missed seeing my images in glorious colour on my monitor :laugh:

Most laptops today are designed with widescreen film/video in mind which means a lot of scrolling for everything else.

Back