Bobber project

DTree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Boys. Just wondering wht the majority of guys are using to clean up their engines? Mine is in really good condition. I just want to make it a little nicer. Ie touch up the black paint on top of heads. And restore original finish. What do u use to buff the case?
Are they made of aluminum. Should I sand them down? I really don't want to break down the engine more than I have to..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 92
Also the original mags. What are they made of? Aluminum as well. I want to powder coat them black. Should I walnut shell blast them first before powder coating? Same with forks?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 96
Most powder coaters will take care of surface prep themselves. There are a ton of ways to clean the engine.
Yes it's all aluminium. I polish the side covers. I use a die grinder with various attatchments to rough polish the rest of the engine (basically just clean of oxidation). It really depends on how dirty it is and what finish you want.

No i didn't. I satin polish them which gives them a 'raw' look but i i mirror polish the edges. Some guys do paint the heads but i cant tell you much about that im afraid...

Back