Bogs, hiccups, stalls, only when hot, after 12 - 15 mins 1980 Special 650

Guys,

My (dad's formerly) 1980 Special 650 and the Fat Boy in Terminator 2 are my first recollections of what a motorcycle should be.

-pyro

Another movie with a good bike in it was the first X-Men movie.
If you look close in the scene where the Wolverine find the girl Rouge In his trailer, you will see a later model XS650. Not sure what year but it has the later style brake caliper And fender.
Leo

Pyrobooster,

Thank you for starting this thread. Purchased a 1980 Special in January and this is my first ever motorcycle. It has the same the identical symptoms as what you have described. When the bike is cold it runs like a dream. Once it starts to warm up, all hell breaks loose. It was so bad today, I almost didn't get home and got some crazy looks from people walking on the sideline with all the spitting, sputtering and the occasional backfire. You and everyone else on this thread put together a great list. I will be checking these off one by one as well. I was convinced it was a carburetor issue, but after seeing the different potential problems, I will wait to get a new set of vm34's.

Installing a new PAMCO Ignition and HH PMA hopefully next week, so that should knock out a few potential issues. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again guys!

UPDATE:

Success (hopefully)! I just finished Pamco Pete's new ignition with the E-advancer. With the package I purchased from Mike XS came with a new ignition coil. I replaced everything and went for a ride tonight. I ran it is hard as I could trying to get it really hot so that I could replicate the misfiring, spitting, and sputtering. It didn't act up once. Ran great. I am going to run it later in the week for longer, but I really feel like the problem is solved now. If it starts misfiring later this week on my next ride, I'll repost.

Thanks,

clmcanally

Ok, I have the answer for you, It is your Coil. I had one that gave me the same issues.
It would either miss or just plain quit. If I let it sit for an hour and cool down it would start.
Sometimes it would start sooner, but it had to cool off. A rpl coil and I never had another issue! It always ran perfectly until it got hot. On a cold day I could drive it all day without a problem. I tuned it up, rpl the gas cap, rpl the tank, tuned it up, carb rebuild, new Plug wires, no good..
I was talking to an OLD Mechanic when I mentioned it to him. Took him about 1 minute of listening to me. I sure wish I had met him about a year earlier!

I havent heard anything, I was thinking of something else, If the bike had been sitting with gas in the carbs, (over Winter??)
The inside of the carbs and/or needle valves could have gotten coated with varnish.
This coating could be choking off the gas supply. When sitting the carbs have the chance
to fill with gas. If varnished the gas supply may not be able to keep up with the gas being
used while running. The Bike is simply being starved of gas, that WILL cause sputtering,
I rethought the coils issue, usually if a coil goes bad it will shut down completely until cooled.
My Snow Blower did this exact thing this winter , it quit doing it when I pulled the bowel and float and cleaned it, it was always cold blooded so I adjusted the floats gas level
and now it runs perfectly, better than new..
In closing a lack of gas feed seems the right track. It makes the most sense, it gives the same results, and resolves itself when allowed to sit, Yes it is cooling but the carbs are filling up again. The supply just runs out, and the bike is just getting a trickle,
that explains the pops and missing, 3 guys hit it but there are several places this can be.
Plugged petcocks (but both would need to be plugged)
Plugged feed line,
varnished carbs..
It will take a complete fuel system disassemble, clean, Carb clean, Tank Clean, Kreme Koat to eliminate the issue..

Back