Boob tube stuff to defeat the winter...

Netflix has the first couple seasons of The Last Kingdom. Based on the ongoing series of books about King Alfred by Bernard Cornwell, author of the Sharpe's... series. Good stuff.

Orphan Black, about a set of clones. Geez, that girl can act.

Turn, about a ring of spies serving General Washington. Great series as long as you discount the last episode.

The Yard. Used to be free on Hulu, but now costs a few bucks on Amazon Prime. Six episodes. Addresses real world issues such as land use rights, gender parity, high finance. All through the perspective of a primary school yard. Hilarious. Paul Gross interviews the kids throughout from behind the camera, the only adult in the show.

On a literary tangent, but will still get you through a winter: I mentioned Cornwell. His Archer's Trilogy is a good one, so is his take on Arthur.

And fictional contemporaries of Sharpe, there are my favorite literary characters of all time: Aubrey and Maturin put to the page by Patrick O'Brian. Oh, how I wish the BBC would get going on this. Russell Crowe and Peter Weir barely did it justice with Master and Commander. No, decent and fun flick, but no justice at all to the source material.

Thanks Daniel - excellent suggestions from a guy who certainly knows good acting!

Now - about that Turn show - I’m not sure that I’d enjoy a show about traitors....errrr....I mean patriots.

Hmmmm....I guess it’s a point of view thing.

Cheers,

Pete

The Detectorists is on my list - and I love the westerns too - but Mrs. MaxPete, not so much (dammit).

Hi Pete,
my wife hates the shows I watch and I hate the shows she watches. That's why we share a bedroom but have separate TV sets in different rooms.

Hi Pete,
my wife hates the shows I watch and I hate the shows she watches. That's why we share a bedroom but have separate TV sets in different rooms.

Indeed. She watches The Bachelor and variants of it. I always put my hand on my forehead if it’s on when I walk into the room - and I cry out that I can feel my IQ dropping by the second. I tell her that, if she keeps watching those shows, eventually I won’t be able to read and write any more.

I can report that she does not receive these comments positively ....for some reason. :umm:

Some time ago, I learnt some cooking lessons from the 2 fat broads.

2FatBroads01.jpg
2FatBroads02.jpg 2FatBroads04.jpg

Indeed. She watches The Bachelor and variants of it. I always put my hand on my forehead if it’s on when I walk into the room - and I cry out that I can feel my IQ dropping by the second. I tell her that, if she keeps watching those shows, eventually I won’t be able to read and write any more.

I can report that she does not receive these comments positively ....for some reason. :umm:

Indeed. Wimmen are mysterious creatures.

If I were to feel the need to barf, I wouldn't need Ipecac...30 seconds of The Hallmark Channel would do it.

I actually liked watching the British shows on PBS.

upload_2018-2-14_19-56-14.png

upload_2018-2-14_19-56-45.png

upload_2018-2-14_19-47-31.png

early road warriors from the Met. ( i guess I need some tips on how to load pics )

upload_2018-2-14_19-56-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-14_19-45-47.png
    upload_2018-2-14_19-45-47.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
  • upload_2018-2-14_19-46-36.png
    upload_2018-2-14_19-46-36.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
BOOB TUBE REPORT:
Based on the many recommendations in this thread, I have compiled a list of shows that I must watch. It should do me till at least my 123rd birthday.

Totally at random, I chose to start with Longmire - and holy cow, is it good! I wanna move to Wyoming and buy an old pickup truck.

Really.

Pete

My wife likes to share time with me, but she won't spend any in the garage. She likes to get me to watch serials with her. We did share VIKINGS. Tough for me because she's a binge watcher and I prefer one at a time on the weekend. Also, all that carnage keeps me awake at night. Good series!

BOOB TUBE REPORT:
Based on the many recommendations in this thread, I have compiled a list of shows that I must watch. It should do me till at least my 123rd birthday.

Totally at random, I chose to start with Longmire - and holy cow, is it good! I wanna move to Wyoming and buy an old pickup truck.

Really.

Pete
You made a good pick for a "starter" - most episodes are very well-written, with a good story arc across the years of production. "Homeland" is now back on Showtime, but if for some reason I had to choose between that and "The Americans", it'd be a no-brainer!

Back